Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh, what a dilemma

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we upgrade this board?
Uhhh...I'm so afraid. Let's keep things as they are
50%
 50%  [ 7 ]
I'm feeling lucky. Let's do it
50%
 50%  [ 7 ]
Who cares? This is such a lame board anyhow
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr Sat 04, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Oh, what a dilemma Reply with quote

The upside: There is a new version of this message board out that has some very nice features, the best of which is instant messaging. That means you can talk to anyone who is visiting the board the same time you are. It also has increased security and other features that don't mean much to people like us.

The downside: The last time I tried to update the board, everything went south and we had to start over again.

The question: Do we want to get the new features and possibly risk losing everything, or do we want to just keep the ancient, but proven one we're using now?
JD

PostPosted: Apr Sat 04, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Go "ALL IN" Reply with quote

Funny John....my first thought after reading the subject line was , " ...betterback up the archives...." before I even read your plusses and minuses.

Let me do a cut and paste of my last four years of "The Mormon Crickets are Coming..." then do what you will.

You may fire when ready, Gridley!
hawk

PostPosted: Apr Sat 04, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: uhhhh, Reply with quote

oh, man, do I have to once again id all those obscure TRs??? Smile

BUT, HAVE AT IT..
hawk

PostPosted: Apr Sat 04, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: HEY, JOHN-BOY Reply with quote

Let's ID the skeerdy-cat that voted "no" and excise the cat from our forward-thinking, upscale, elite, always-modernizing, best-on-the-net, Board......

Once again, I say:
No slamming.
No negative personal posts.
Differences of opinion are solicited however. Just so long as they are honest and NEVER personal.
joeschmeaux

PostPosted: Apr Mon 06, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Do you have to risk losing the data? Reply with quote

Can't you back it up, so you can revert to the current version in case the new version doesn't work right? I just googled "backup phpbb" and found this:

http://php.about.com/od/phpbb/qt/backup_phpbb.htm

Does this apply to your forum?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr Mon 06, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Backup Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

The database, MySQL, often has issues with importing files over a few megabytes. The visitreno database is over 16MB. I tried to test it by uploading the board to a new directory and making a new database. When I tried to import the old database into the new one, it didn't work. End of test. Strangely enough, the database didn't report an error, indicating everything went well. I just don't understand all this high tech stuff.

Last edited by john on Apr Tue 07, 2009 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
hawk

PostPosted: Apr Mon 06, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: MySql Reply with quote

Well, if I read that right (MySql), it sounds like, "My Squirrel". No wonder that it is nutty and squirrelly. Rolling Eyes

OTOH, thanks for always trying to update us. We already have the best board and the best people on the WWW.

Last edited by hawk on Apr Tue 07, 2009 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr Mon 06, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Change, what is it good for? Reply with quote

I've watched Reno change since I first visited in 1985. I've decided I don't like change. Hell, I even miss the little grocery store that stood where the Silver Legacy is now. And now Allegiant air has changed and won't fly me to Reno anymore.
evandors

PostPosted: Apr Sun 12, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that grocery store !! I got food poisoning on a trip in the late 80's (I think from the buffet at Circus Circus !!) and went there to get some Immodium. The medicine saved the trip from being miserable but the package cost me $20.00. $2 for the medicine and then I lost the $18 change in their stupid slot machines at the front door !!!
stan_allen

PostPosted: Apr Mon 13, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Nike to Visitreno.com upgrade inquiry: "Just do it!&quo Reply with quote

I've taken the liberty of tipping the scales - now we can bet it all!

My only concern is all the extra work for John once the MySquirrel runs along the live electrical wire - but we survived it before, and we can do it again!

Heck, need TRs? I'll make some up, and pretend things went more in my favor!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: