Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The famous arch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
remano

PostPosted: Mar Thu 19, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: The famous arch Reply with quote

I heard that the lights on the downtown arch are going to be converted to energy efficient light emiting diodes. This alone will reduce the cost of lighting the structure from just over $14,000 per year to the $2500 range.
Carl

PostPosted: Mar Thu 19, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great idea thanks for the update
JD

PostPosted: Mar Thu 19, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reno arch lights save $ 12,000/year Reply with quote

The only problem is the initial cost is $ 300,000.

AND they'll take $ 10,000/year to maintain.

Other than that, they are a great idea.
CaSwede

PostPosted: Mar Thu 19, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheapskates!! Very Happy
Dave

PostPosted: Mar Fri 20, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Thanks for the Scare! Reply with quote

Don't do that to me guys. I read the title of the post and the I my stomocach dropped as I was thinking please don't tell me they are going to take down the arches!!!Thank Goodness! Did they change them to green this year for St. Patty's Day? Man I am a Reno Nerd! Sure wish I was there right now! Ouch!
remano

PostPosted: Mar Fri 20, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Reno arch lights save $ 12,000/year Reply with quote

JD wrote:
The only problem is the initial cost is $ 300,000.

AND they'll take $ 10,000/year to maintain.

Other than that, they are a great idea.

Not sure if this was intended to be light hearted or serious, but seriously, according to the RGJ, the initial cost is just under $40,000 to buy and install so the savings will cover that in about 5 years, and each bulb is expected to last 10 years (longer than current bulbs) so maintenance of the bulbs should be minimal though the cost of maintaining the structure itself will not change.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20090318/NEWS/903180409
JD

PostPosted: Mar Sat 21, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: "Green Energy" never pencils out Reply with quote

I'll make a bet that paying $ 20/bulb x 2,000 bulbs will NOT save any money.

It might save RENO some power costs ESPECIALLY if this is called a STIMULUS project and the feds pay a big part of the tab.

By their own estimate, the optimistic payback is five years.

"Each bulb is good for at least 100,000 hours and is expected to last 10 years. He said the purchase cost should be recovered in five years through power savings and then last another five years."

Which has a couple of might big assumptions tossed in.

By the way, was the overhead of big salaries in the maintence department included? And what if the bulbs are damaged, vandalized or just plain don't last 10 years?

But I have a bias, I hate those LED flashlights ... at least when I'm not on the shining end of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: