Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lengthy Trip Report-You’ve been warned……

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zydeco

PostPosted: Feb Sun 08, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Lengthy Trip Report-You’ve been warned…… Reply with quote

Lengthy Octoeber 2008 Trip Report-You’ve been warned…..

Disclaimer: I am posting this on another Reno forum as well.

This long-ago trip report is finally complete. Due to unforeseen circumstances, the thoughts to paper were delayed, much like my flight to Reno back in October. This trip was really different for me. I went alone, didn’t gamble much, and kept the boozin’ to a minimum. I wanted to see Reno in a different light.

I departed Seattle on the latest Southwest Airlines flight to Reno finally at 10:30PM. I am terrified of flying. My mom was a flight attendant and my dad ran cargo for another airline for 40 years. Genetically, this little phobia is pretty damn embarrassing. I’m the person you do not want to be sitting next to during take off. I’m going to take your arm off. Tears, panic attacks, hyperventilating, and laughing my ass off. Yep, have a seat next to the fraidy cat in seat 2C! Lucky YOU! What to do? Yes, let’s have two double Manhattans at the airport bar. Yet another example where I exist only to serve as a bad example.

Once again, the SWA gang was awesome and settled my nerves. The flight was completely empty. I had the whole row to myself. Take off was awful and once we reached cruising altitude, the flight attendant brought me a Jack on the Rocks….guess it was pretty bad. Hey, once were in the air I’m mighty cool. We can bump all over the sky. They asked why I continue to fly. Hey, I’m a basket case for 20 minutes and for my trouble I get to spend 4 days in Reno….What, let a little fear stop a weekend of fun?!

On to Reno, the good, the bad, the ugly, the mundane, in order to appearance:

Alamo Rent A Car: I am the only person in this airport and it takes you 40 minutes to get my wheels only to find out it is not the auto I requested? We are not off to a good start.

Arrive Eldorado: Per the recommendation of this and other Reno forums, I book the “luxury room” as I like to be up high and look at the lights. I reside in the sticks and some flashing neon really is a treat (gawd, I need to get a life). Reception at Eldo was terrible! Hey, there are hundreds of thousands of good folks out of work and this is the customer service I get?! Perhaps it was the late hour, but as with Alamo, I am the only person here and this is the best you can do? Again, things not looking up. Room is fine, view is fine. Grab a bite at Tivoli Gardens, drop some dough on craps, and then to bed.

Up early and off to Tahoe. Beautiful day, beautiful drive. I grab some breakfast at the Wildflower Café in Incline Village. If you’ve not yet been-DO SO. The Formica on the counter was worn from use, the chairs mismatched, the staff gregarious and fun. I ordered pork chops and eggs and didn’t see my plate for 20 minutes, there was that much food! I had a ball here….or too much coffee. Perhaps both?

Back through Carson City (which I really need to check out one day) and to the Soleil Spa in Reno. I booked this spa based on the recommendation of forum members and reviews. It was certainly clean, but sterile. The spa area is in back of this strip mall spa, past 10 hair stylists. The woman who did my facial did a GREAT job, it is clear she enjoys what she does. The massage was passable. I think I like my spa visits to be dimly lit and filled with soothing music….bring some champagne and I’m yours.

Back to the hotel and then to Louie’s Basque Corner for dinner. WOW. I arrived solo and let the greeter/waiter know that I wanted to sit with a fun group. Needless to say, when the group arrived who were bickering and then not speaking, I stayed at the bar. I grabbed a newspaper, the waiter performed magic tricks, and I enjoyed a Picon Punch. Laughed my ass off. As I’ve read, one Picon Punch is too many and two is not enough. I’d agree with that wisdom. After my 2nd beverage, the floor was moving around a bit! I finally sat with a nice couple and gabbed and we joined a table of inebriated demolition experts. Ooooh, this was going to be good. I had a great meal. The beef tongue was so tender and tasty that I ordered another plate! It pleases me to say the tongue rocked! We enjoyed steak, lamb, shrimp, beans, salad, French fries, and a bottle of wine. I was surprised that everyone put bits of cheese in their wine, but when in Rome….. By this time the food and booze are making for one happy gal. Final bit of awesome-ness? When I went to pay, it had been taken care of. The couple bought my meal! Wow!

So off to Harrah’s to see Greg London’s show. I arrive at the ticket booth only to be told that some “high roller” didn’t use their tickets and told the staff to give them to the next person who showed up. ME! So I enjoyed a couple of drinks on the house, a simple, but entertaining show, and a great seat. On the way out, I drop $20 in Wheel of Fortune……yep, I pay off with $500. What a night. Figured I should head to bed to savor the good fortune. What a great day and night.

The next day I enjoy an amazing meal at Peg’s Glorified Eggs. All Hail Peg’s! The Ranchero was in a plate the size of a garbage can lid. I cannot overstate how excellent the meal was. I sat at the counter and gabbed with staff for two hours. It was really fun. The rest of the morning I drove all over Reno visiting new housing developments, seeing old horse property, etc. What to do…..?

On a whim…….I head to the Mustang Ranch. I’ve never visited a brothel and thought it would be interesting to check out. It was. I had a tour, saw several line-ups, hung out with staff, had a beer. Really, really interesting. When my phone rang, I realized that I had left my friend at the airport stranded as I was to pick her up at 3:30. I simply told her I was at a house of prostitution. Her response? “Cool, see you in a bit”. As she said later, “you just never know what she’s going to do or be interested in seeing”. Well worth the trip out of Sparks.

Once I get my butt to the airport, we head to Soak Salon. Pedicure was fine, but the Pink Drink was excellent. After enjoying 3 of those, we couldn’t care less about the toes…we couldn’t feel them. We head out…..

Martinis at Roxy’s (as always a great time), dinner at Harrah’s Steakhouse (a great meal as always, but there IS such thing as too much garlic-oy, we paid dearly for that), followed by the show at the Eldorado. Win at craps and head to bed.

We head to Las Vegas the next morning for her wedding party.

My two cents about Las Vegas? Too much. Too much hotel, too much volume, too much silicone, too much make-up, too much money, too much “let’s dress like 20-year olds, although we are 45”. My final Vegas thought? WHITE STRETCH PANTS ARE A PRIVILEGE, NOT A RIGHT. Gawd, I’m going to need therapy to get over that vision.

All in all, Reno alone was different, fun, and a good value. I’m heading back in April!
hawk

PostPosted: Feb Sun 08, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Hey, I like LONG trip reports Reply with quote

thanks for posting. a different trip, not much gaming. Very different from my trips yet I enjoyed reading along.

I am with you on flying.
RenoLady

PostPosted: Feb Mon 09, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting!

What did you think of the Greg London show? R and I saw it last November, and really had a good time. They were filming it that night for posterity or something, so it was high energy. He said he had a new show coming this year, so we'll check it out again.
stoneman

PostPosted: Feb Mon 09, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: EEKS, THE SHOWS AT ELDO Reply with quote

I had an offer of show tickets from Eldorado recently. Can't say that I had any interest.
Choices: Menopause, the musical. Wow, sounds like a real "upper".
Toxic something or other; toxic GAS I think.
Some old group from 50s or 60s (at least their name). Probably the original guys are all DEAD.

OTOH, I have seen some decent shows at Eldo. I liked the recent mini-Cirque-du-soleil style show.

Which begs the question: Did anyone catch the Ice Follies show? Again I wasn't too interested. Their previous Christmas musical show was pretty good. Course you gotta have variety, I know that.
Zydeco

PostPosted: Feb Wed 11, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts:

Greg London was an entertaining show for the evening. However, I'd liken it to a 1/2 Price Off Danny Gans Show. Some of the same sctick, I mean exactly like Danny's show. But he was a nice guy and it looked like they were having fun.

As for the Eldorado, I am so NOT interested in Menopause: The Musical. While I've heard great reviews from friends, it just does not appeal to me. Funny coming from someone in women's health, hun?

I've seen all of the Eldo's Mini-Cirque-De-Soleil rip offs, I mean shows. But know what? Entertaining and good value for the price.

As for the Eldorado Holiday show, I did not see the Ice Thing, but last year I saw the show with Merril Osmond. People, we are talking Merril "The Silver Fox" Osmond on stage belting it out like no tommorow. Now, I did have several cocktails, but I had a great time that night. Met up with him after the show and he was really nice. Merrill Osmond, people. Gawd, highlight of the night. Oh, and sat next to him the next morning at Tivoli Gardens for breakfast. I think he knew it was the 4 slightly drunk women from the previous night who made utter fools of themselves. I think he scooted away. I would if I was him.
stoneman

PostPosted: Feb Thu 12, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: HOW DOES ONE GET SO LUCKY? Reply with quote

"4 slightly drunk women from the previous night who made utter fools of themselves"

Why am I always in the wrong place at the wrong time?
Zydeco

PostPosted: Feb Fri 13, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.......you did miss an "interesting" evening...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: