Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

...makes life worth livin'.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RenoLady

PostPosted: Aug Tue 12, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: ...makes life worth livin'..... Reply with quote

Our partners in crime (friends who usually join us on the way up the hill) had a set back this summer. She literally woke up to him dead beside her, 911 and then 2 minutes later paramedics are reviving him.

Life flights to a specialty hospital-coma for several days-brain damage? He wakes, trys to jump into R's arms, and his first thoughts, when he could voice them, were when are we going to Reno?

It's been a carrot through a slow rehab process. We told him October. However, they found a mass on a kidney, surgery this Wednesday, does it ever end? They're both still relatively young, 50's early 60's, just retired (so old farts I guess?)

This last Friday, she calls me crying. He's giving up, no eating, no more rehab, she doesn't know what to do. You know what? I do. We're going to Reno! Yeah it's Hot August Nights, we'll be heading up in the morning on a Saturday arrival, so what?! He's walking with a cane, has strict dietary rules, big deal, you seen some of the conditions folks are in when they plant themselves in front of a machine? I've seen, I swear 100 year old ladies, bent over, pushing walkers an inch at a time, make their way to a machine, grinnin' all the way. Hell, he'll feel like a young man in comparison with his little ole cane. Let's go!

Reno is full, Carson has a room for $36. Huh?! yup, $36 on a Saturday night HAN weekend. I'll take two. He can't believe he's going. He thought we were humoring him about what he'd be able to do.

The ride up 50 was beautiful. 75 degrees, crystal clear skies, no sign of smoke. We arrive in Carson (City Center Motel), dropped the bags and started at Fandango. Our usual machines were waiting for us, we played for 3 hours. His pain from the mass, only a memory. We cheered each other's bonuses like kids at a circus, and didn't THINK about anything, we only FELT happy in the moment.

Dinner at the Nugget, a little more play and an early bedtime for him. He went to sleep right away, she says with a smile on his face. He woke energized and ate a big breakfast. A little more play, and then we were back down the hill, telling jokes of near misses and planning for the October trip when this Wednesday's surgery will be behind him.

We won't share this story with non-players. The docs won't hear of it, nor my mom and nurse sister. They wouldn't understand the risk of taking him that far from his medical community. They wouldn't "get" the overall happy place Reno takes us. But when he's facing this next hurdle tomorrow, he'll remember what's out there, and some of the things that make life worth livin'.....
Ryder

PostPosted: Aug Tue 12, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Story & Trip!!!!

nothing like a little trip to the promise land to revive you

I hope he is able to make the october trip (sure sounds like it)
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug Tue 12, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reno - Biggest little healing place in the world Reply with quote

WOW! Sounds like something you'd see in Reader's Digest. The old saying is true: Reno is the best medicine. I hope his surgery goes well tomorrow. I know exactly how he feels.
stan_allen

PostPosted: Aug Tue 12, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: "You just survived a coma - whattaya gonna do?" &q Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing - that is an entertaining, uplifting, and even touching story!

I hope I'll have such cool people around me if I'm ever in that state.
alison

PostPosted: Aug Wed 13, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting....Touching story/trip.
RenoLady

PostPosted: Aug Thu 14, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your well wishes, he did well through the surgery, we'll know the "cancer" portion after pathology next week. However, he was happy going in, still talking about our spontaneous weekend and the next trip.
garyandsharon

PostPosted: Aug Thu 14, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gave your friend the best medicine possible heading into surgery. A positive outlook and looking forward to the next adventure speaks volumes on his recovery. Everyone should be lucky to have a friend as loving and caring as you.
PEB

PostPosted: Aug Fri 15, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. Trips like that can do wonders for people, it sure did for my mom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: