Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JD's Excellent Adventure Part 1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JD

PostPosted: Jul Wed 02, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: JD's Excellent Adventure Part 1 Reply with quote

"Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance', As young JD's Dad used to say.

OK...it's 3:00 pm Weds. I figure if I leave in twelve hours (3 AM for students from Oregon), I'll get there in time for John to buy me a beer.

Gotta pack the car (SUV) first. Maybe I'd better get the firewood out before I start that. Best vacuum out all the toothpicks before I start reloading...wait, the vacuum cleaner bag is full. Now what was I doing again??

Maybe I'd better have a beer and start my TR.... No problem, I have a LIST.

1. Begin what's on the list.
2. Have a beer and get advice from the board.

Anyone want a ride from Portland to Reno, Virginia City and Gold Hill?

I need another beer.

More later.
hawk

PostPosted: Jul Wed 02, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: JD IS PRIORITIZED AND HOT TO GO Reply with quote

i DO but I can't go. Daggonit!!!!!!
Have a fantastic trip as always and regale us with the intimate details.
stoneman

PostPosted: Jul Thu 03, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: JD is there Reply with quote

Gotta be in Reno if he left at 3 AM. Wish I was with him. Guess it's too late to ask for a ride from Hat Creek. Looking forward to his reports. Sounds like he is a guy who likes to have fun.

But I got fat and gained 2 pounds just reading his pre-trip report about all that beer. Just read a novel about a girl cop named Jack Daniels. How's come a guy named JD doesn't drink Jack Daniels?
stan_allen

PostPosted: Jul Thu 03, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Remember: "Oregon" = "Go Reno" Reply with quote

You can just tell this is going to be a great trip, and a great trip report.

What an opener!
stoneman

PostPosted: Jul Thu 03, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Right-O, Stan-O Reply with quote

Agreed. I am already enjoying the TR and all we have is a preview. Someone get this guy (or gal - whichever JD is) a COMPUTER....
Man, I am ready for my RENO FIX....
jerry

PostPosted: Jul Sun 06, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: STEAL THE THUNDER, JOHN BOY Reply with quote

OK, John, we realized that JD is too drunk to use the computer. But can't you give us a little insight into how his trip is progressing. Surely you have seen/heard from/him.
Is the latch on the big patio birdcage engaged? Perhaps he is unable to "flee the coop"...

Or maybe you and he now resemble those two guys that Ryder took the picture of on your patio a couple months ago.
(If I knew how to do it, I would re-post that pic and lie to all that it was you and JD over the Fourth). Twisted Evil
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul Sun 06, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Woe is me Reply with quote

Alas, I have yet to hear from the elusive JD. He said he'd be spending a few days in Reno, but as yet, nada.
JD

PostPosted: Jul Mon 14, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Trip Report Index Reply with quote

Ok...I'm home and I'll just have to do this one from memory. Which is going to be tough, since a few million brain cells got lost along the way.

Already we seem to have two versions of this Storey story. To start with, I was under stress because our leader, JOHN, told me he was planning on being in Virginia City Thursday afternoon so I wanted to get there by 3 in the afternoon. I went to public school so I figured this would require a 5 am departure from my house in order to be in Klamath Falls by 9:30, Reno by 2:30 and VC by 3.

Being somewhat long winded, I don't really have time for the whole report right now, as I MUST start laundry and do my dainties since 11 days on the road has exhausted my supply.

Here's my tenative chapter headings for my manuscript:

- Gas prices and that damned "FUEL WARNING LIGHT"
- John no shows in VC, would rather work than play
- A town of 700 has a TWO HOUR parade
- "Reno's Best Bartender" should stay on HIS side of the bar
- Jello Shots on the pool table
- JD rocks, in a bucket
- The C Street Stroll
- Lies, Damn Lies and Comstock Time
- Rare Air on Sun Mountain

I'm sure there's more but I gotta start unpacking the car. No doubt SOMEONE will want to edit those chapter headings as well.

By the way, does anyonwe remember when I have to be at work next?
jerry

PostPosted: Jul Mon 14, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: FIRSTLY OF ALL....... Reply with quote

I am glad you are safely back and I anxiously await, with bated breath (whatever that is), each and every sordid chapter.

"By the way, does anyonwe remember when I have to be at work next?"
I think, perhaps, you meant: "When I have to be at work LAST>>"

Oh, man, that first chapter is gonna make my day soon.......
This board is about to liven up...
stoneman

PostPosted: Jul Mon 14, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: IF JERRY IS FIRSTLY, THEN I AM SECONDLY Reply with quote

Not hijacking the thread -- simply a brief detour cause I gotta say:
Jerry, that is one really fine bat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
One might say, "It freaked me out"..

Now, JD, as to the excellent adventure, let me give your suggestion a try:

- Gas prices and that damned "FUEL WARNING LIGHT"
*****What fuel warning light?*****

- John no shows in VC, would rather work than play
*****I don't know John but using "John and work" in the same sentence sounds like an oxymoron********

- A town of 700 has a TWO HOUR parade
*******There must have been a lot of drinking involved in such a parade*******

- "Reno's Best Bartender" should stay on HIS side of the bar
**********Another oxy--does Reno really have a "best bartender"?*****

- Jello Shots on the pool table
*********Did you mean, "jello sluts on the pot table"?********

- JD rocks, in a bucket
*******JD rocks ANYWHERE, not just in a bucket. I can see that already.*****

- The C Street Stroll
*****The Can't See Straight Stroll***********

- Lies, Damn Lies and Comstock Time
******There has never been a clock in the Comstock**********

- Rare Air on Sun Mountain
******Rare is the Sun on JD's Mountain of Flesh********

All in good humor. Don't shoot the new guy. I breathlessly await the first chapter in this, now, 2 week old saga.
hawk

PostPosted: Jul Tue 15, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: INTERIM REPORT ON THE ELUSIVE (AND BUSY) JD Reply with quote

JD is at work now bUT hopes to post either this evening or tomorrow evening. He still has to unpack the car.
He told me the Virginia City Camel Races were a "blast" but it is really going to be tough to get that "humper" out of his trunk.

I really just get on here to check out Jerry's avatars. Hmm, love that Freak.
Dave is the Avatar King but Jerry is the Bat Magnet....
stoneman

PostPosted: Jul Tue 15, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: FOOD WARNING LIGHT Reply with quote

"FUEL WARNING LIGHT", OOPS, that's the Food Warning Light that sent JD back to the millstone. At least the last 2 weeks has given me the feeling that JD is a "guy". And I suspect a "fun guy" at that.

So, JD, take the millstone from around thy neck and enlighten us on your journey to the big and little city and its' environs.
I am salivating for Reno news. My money is burning a hole in my pocket. The machines are calling>>>>>>
CaSwede

PostPosted: Jul Wed 16, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well darn.... I was waiting for a trip report with some real substance. I need some tips as I am leaving in a couple of hours for Reno. I wanted to know what to avoid, and what not to miss. I guess I will just have to have my own adventure.
hawk

PostPosted: Jul Wed 16, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: RIGHT ON, SWEDISH ONE Reply with quote

Yeah, Swede, I know what you mean perzactly.
I, too, would like a trip to "Reno.

Make your own adventure and come back and share it with us "Reno Voyeurs:|"....
JD

PostPosted: Jul Wed 16, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Ok, OK...I know I'm late Reply with quote

So as I've already noted, I was under some pressure to hot foot it from Portland to meet with John in Virginia City. We agreed I'd call from a cell window in Klamath Falls.

Now if any of of you are like me...that is to say I'd rather pound a nail in my eye than fly commercial recently...I have found various routes to Reno. There's the fast, scenic, historic or dumbest route, all available for the asking.

Always having an eye on gas prices, I've come to time my fuel stops to maximize mileage and minimize cost. As a bit a trivia, the fast route (I-5 to Hwy 58, 58 thru Oakridge to 97, 97 S. to K Falls, 39 to Merrill, 139 to 299, East on 299 for 18 miles to Alturas, 395 S. to Standish, A-3 to 395, then 395 S. to I-80) is EXACTLY 540 miles.

From Portland then, the 1/3 waypoint is the Crescent Cottages just East of Willamette Pass, 1/2 way= The Towne Pump Gas Station in K Falls, 2/3 waypoint is the Large Ranchhouse with the VERY Green roof between Canby & Alturas.

So there should be NO PROBLEM fueling up in K Falls (except I got suckered into a $ 7 car wash at Albertson's) and making it the mere 280 miles into Reno, RIGHT???

WRONG! At Doyle my fuel guage said 1/4 tank at Sage Hen Summit my warning light flashed, at Hallejuyah Junction, the fuel warning light came on solid...and the last gas station was behind me in a flash. Even if I could stop, No way would I pay $ 4.79/gallon. I'd rather walk.

Surely I can make it to Bordertown......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: