Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First "In-California-to-Reno" Trip Report 2/2/08

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mammothgambler

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: First "In-California-to-Reno" Trip Report 2/2/08 Reply with quote

Finally, my first trip to Reno from Mammoth, just a 2 1/2-3 hour drive down the road. All this time I'd been wondering how different it would be than just visiting from Florida, it's awesome that it's so close by. It felt kind of strange being in Reno in my own car, but definitely fun!

There were a few pending issues that led me to take my first day trip on Feb. 2. I needed to have my taxes done but the H & R Block in Bishop (about 40 miles down the road, south of here) was booked solid for weeks. My dog was almost out of food that's only available at Petco and the Pet Supermarket. I also had a check that I needed cashed which was a refund on my security deposit at my old place in Florida, but nobody around town was able to cash it because it was an out of state check and I don't have any bank accounts open here in CA yet. Several people recommended a check cashing center in Reno. And last but not least, it had been since Thanksgiving that I was at the Peppermill last and John gave word that somebody else hit the lucky Double Ten Times Pay. It had been dumping snow here for days and had finally cleared up and the sun came out, so at around noon, I was off.

No problems getting there, although there was a nasty little storm on a 2 or 3 mile stretch between Minden and Carson City. It's weird how the weather changes around here...it was literally like a storm cloud of snow that was pounding this one area. Unfortunately saw several cars piled up on the side of the road so it looked like I had just missed a nasty wreck. A few more miles down the road, it was sunny again.

Arrived on Virginia Street once I got into town. I didn't realize how many different shopping malls and stores there are right around that area of Virginia Street beyond the Peppermill and Atlantis, good to know for the future because there isn't alot here in Mammoth, and expect to pay double when there is!

After stopping at the check cashing center, it was off to the H&R Block office...packed to the hilt, I can see why that particular office stays open until 10 pm every night. For some reason, everyone in there decided to bring their kids. Pretty chaotic, but 3 1/2 hours later, I was finally outta there (and yeah, I had an appointment!) Good news is that they only raked me about $300 on that $2000 jackpot I had at the Peppermill on Thanksgiving Day, and was still able to get a refund as well.

After stopping at a few other stores here and there, I arrived at the Peppermill. Being the semi-superstitious person that I am, I decided to re-trace my steps from my last visit there in November (when I went back and got another $900 off the other Double Ten Times Pay on my way out of town, after the big jackpot). Literally, parked in the same area, went in the same entrance through the sports book, and to the dollar area. Consulting my "Treasure Map," i first tried out one of the 50 cent, 5 line Double Jackpot machines I had good luck on last time (I believe garyandsharon also had a big hit on these machines on their last trip). About $10 into it, I hit several triple white 7's that were 20 credits apiece, followed by two red 7's and a Double Jackpot symbol for a total win of $275. Not bad, but I didn't feel "done" yet...I was on a mission to win more since I was still trying to make up for lost funds that my former employer didn't come through with. So, it was off to the lucky row of dollar machines by the Cube Bar, where the Double Ten Times Pay machines are.

I first jumped back on the 2 coin machine that I've already hit twice - $450 in July, and $2000 in November, and from what I'm hearing keeps on hitting! Nothing in 10 spins, so I got up and went over to the Hee Haw machines. Won $38 on a wild bonus line so I went back to the row of dollars. Tried the other Double Ten Times Pay 3-coin model, where I got the second jackpot last trip, but no luck. So, back to the 2 coin model. 4 spins into it, I got: A Ten Times Pay symbol, a Double Symbol, and a double blue bar for a total win of $800. I couldn't believe it, I hit it again!

I've mentioned it before, but if you're at the Peppermill you gotta try this machine! I know a few of the members here on the board have tried it, and Jerry is the only other one I've heard of having a win on it but John also mentioned someone hit it for $6000 one night, followed by another $2000 after spinning once the hand pay was paid. It kind of reminds me of that Red White and Blue machine that was at the Horizon in Stateline a couple years back...it just keeps going and going and going...I wonder if it's hit the top jackpot yet?

So, it was literally like a re-run of that last trip, in and out the door in 30 minutes, up 1075 dollars! Took my dog for a run around the outskirts of the Peppermill (hey, she's only 2 and hadn't seen Reno yet!)

Heading home, the weather was getting rather nasty, it started snowing in Carson City but I kept plugging away and didn't think too much of it. Well, I probably should have, because the next thing you know, I looked up and I was already in California, in no man's land down scenic Hwy. 395! There was no stopping then, so I put my tire chains on and kept going. I never thought I'd drive from Reno to Mammoth going 25 mph the whole way but it happened...turned out to be an all-nighter. At about 2 am, I approached a VERY steep grade that's right outside of the town of Lee Vining. I ascended to the top without a problem, but then, as I was making my way down, my chains fell off! I spun out 4 times across the 8 lane highway and landed in a snowbank. BACKWARDS. I've seen that grade in the summertime and it's basically just a guardrail that goes over into a gorge, so if that snowbank wouldn't have been there to stop me, I'd probably be a goner now! I was able to keep it together for the next two hours or so, as it took me that long to find my chains buried in the snow. Even though I'm a newbie to these storms around here I did throw my backcountry snowboard shovel in the truck the first day I got here...good move, I wouldn't have been able to dig the truck out without it! Right when I'm putting the chains back on, a California Highway Patrol car comes along and starts giving me hell about driving in this nasty weather! I kept explaining that I had just spun out and lost my chains (and slammed into the snowbank) but I think he thought I was intoxicated or something. He insisted on following me down the rest of the grade (hey, at least I had some additional visibility from the lights...)

I arrived in Lee Vining at 5:30 am. Tons of trucks lined up in front of the country store and lots of cop cars...the road (Hwy 395) was closed due to zero visibility and high winds! Well, at least I was on a flat road (and in an actual town for that matter!) Wound up falling asleep in my truck and finally got a knock on my window at 12 noon from a cop who said the road was finally open and I could go ahead. Got home at around 1 pm...those last few miles to Mammoth Lakes were some of the burliest iced roads I think I've ever seen, it was worse than driving through the snow all night.

Well, that's it, the 26 hour long road trip to Reno! I turned out to be one of those people that "slipped through the cracks" and didn't hear about the storm until I was stuck in it. What a way to get broken in, but it was all worth it, and fortunately, no damages to my truck. I'm definitely seeing a 4x4 vehicle in my future once work gets established (and checking weather conditions ahead of time might not be a half bad idea either...)

Mammothgambler
PEB

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great trip report! sounds like you had a fantastic time! Also sounds like you have the Midas touch on the slots....its always great to hear about someone winning! Smile
garyandsharon

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a rain cloud burst that you had all the time in Florida. BUT! it was snow. Had to be a frightening experience. That $1075 sounds like a good down payment on a 4x4.

Glad you had another successful trip to the Pep! Did your machines wink when you sat down?

Glad you had hear you made it home safe.

SharonandGary
JD

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Sierra Drving Reply with quote

MG:

Loved the report. I've been caught out in some nasty Sierra weather myself. Pay attention to the rigs in the ditch.

In my experience, the rear wheel drives have the tough time getting UP the mountain, and the great off road, part time 4WDs lose it going DOWN the hill (Four wheel drive cockiness). What you rarely see having trouble is All Wheel Drives with Electronic stability control like Subarus, some Acura SUVs, Volvo & Ford Freestyle, Kias, & other Mid sized car based SUVs like MY SANTA FE.

Off road 4x4s that are great on rugged trails are often not so good on icy highways.

Must be your snowboarding experience that made you hit that SOFT snowbank!
hawk

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: nice TR Reply with quote

OK, Mammary Gambler, loved your report. Happy for the positive notes and I empathize with your unhappy experiences.

I can see now that we have you in our HOME state of NV, we are going to be getting more of your very delightful epistles.
Surely hope all works out well for you in the Silver State.

I will again try those 10X machines but I don't play the max as I don't wish to pay the taxes. We shall see. The payoff is the same ratio. To me, it is like I am playing a 50 cent machine for the max. I can handle it.

BTW, either watch the weather closer or wait until spring. We want you to continue as a functioning member here.

Cheers, or is it "ole, el Mammo"?
RenoLady

PostPosted: Feb Tue 19, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn-n-n-n!!!! Scared the hell out of me just reading about your sliding across the highway, I can't imagine being in it. How'd the dog take it?

Congrats on the wins! I gotta give 'em a shot....
stan_allen

PostPosted: Feb Tue 19, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: The audacity of hoping for a big win. Reply with quote

That's hair-raising stuff, Mammoth!

Glad to hear of the nice win at the Peppermill, but be cool with that winter driving!
Mammothgambler

PostPosted: Feb Tue 19, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everybody, yes the weather and road conditions here are definitely a switch from hot and flat Florida!

JD thanks for the info on the vehicles, my folks have a Santa Fe and they are very happy with it. I've never known anyone to have a bad ride in a Subaru either. I'll check out some options down the road.

RenoLady, yes that spin across the highway was something else...for a second I thought my life was flashing before me! My dog slept through the whole thing, go figure.

Hopefully I'll have some more luck on my next trip. (And of course, I'll be checking the weather beforehand this time around). It looks like we've got another big storm coming in here in a few days, time to break out the shovels again...

Mammothgambler
hawk

PostPosted: Feb Thu 21, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: The SKIDS Reply with quote

Happened to me too. Scary and frustrating.
Could not dig out of the plowed ice. I stayed in wet clothes for about 12 hours. No fun.
Be safe as well as lucky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: