Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great Article

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave

PostPosted: Oct Thu 04, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Great Article Reply with quote

Hey Guys I found this article in Esquire. I think it is one you will all enjoy.
Pretty good perspective (at least in my opinion!) You have to check it out!
Hoping to get to Reno again soon!
Dave Very Happy
Here is the link: http://www.esquire.com/features/esquire-100/reno1007
stan_allen

PostPosted: Oct Fri 05, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Esquiring minds want to know... Reply with quote

Hey, that's a pretty high-profile name brand to shine such a prominent spotlight on Reno with.

I like how the author keeps saying, "Let's be clear:", and then goes on a vague rant.

But it's all in the spirit of the good that is Reno. Woo-hoo!
JD

PostPosted: Oct Sun 07, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: And the requisite reaction in the Gazette Urinal Reply with quote

From the Biggest Little Newspaper:

"He throws out few F-bombs, doesn't know the name of the Truckee River, disses Las Vegas for its corporate body odor and seemingly walks around downtown Reno in sleepy, half-drunken stupor.

But an article called "The Dirtiest Secret in Nevada" written by Tom Chiarella in the latest edition of Esquire magazine has local politicians, gaming executives and the Reno-Sparks Convention and Visitors Authority giddy about the publicity the article gives the Biggest Little City in the World."
---
"He felt that Peg's Glorified Ham and Eggs on South Sierra is one of the best breakfast restaurants ever, complete with a beautiful waitress.

Chiarella left a lasting impression at Peg's, too.

"You know how the story said he (Chiarella) said that he had 30 cocktails and two hours sleep?" asked Jody Lee, the proprietor of Peg's. "Well, he looked like that. He looked like a guy who had 30 cocktails, and he looked like a guy who had two hours sleep."

The author reminded Lee of a certain movie star.

"He was a nice guy, but he had that appearance like the John Travolta character in 'Pulp Fiction,' she said. "He was kind of ominous. He had a very cool personality."

Chiarella told Lee that he was a writer for Esquire but Lee was wary.

"I didn't know if he was being honest or just pulling my leg," Lee said. "I've had people name drop before so I was a little cynical."

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071007/BIZ/710070331

-----------

JD comments: That's it!! I'm getting 100 business cards made up that say,

" Esquire Magazine writer. Free Lance, Free Stuff please. (Good looking waitresses write their phone number here:_________

J.D. Esquire,
Esquire Mag."

By the way, I've eaten at Peg's. HUGE portions but no big bargain. AND I got waited on by a 60 year old chinese guy, not her:

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/misc?url=/misc/zoompicture.pbs&Site=J7&Date=20071007&Category=BIZ&ArtNo=710070331&Ref=V2&rgj_caption=Terri%20Benasutti%2C%20waitress%20at%20Peg%92s%20Glorified%20Ham%20and%20Eggs%2C%20sits%20Friday%20at%20the%20restaurant.%20She%20waited%20on%20an%20Esquire%20Magazine%20author%20who%20raved%20about%20the%20food%20and%20service%20at%20the%20Reno%20egg%20house%20in%20downtown%20Reno.&rgj_credit=Candice%20Towell%2FReno%20Gazette-Journal&cachetime=0
jerry

PostPosted: Oct Tue 09, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: well, JD Reply with quote

Hate to say this, JD, but I think Peg saw you coming.

Last time I was in there, the chinese guy was cleaning the toilets.
JD

PostPosted: Oct Wed 10, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: PEG? Is that you? Reply with quote

Hate to say this Jerry, but the Chinese guy (actually from Hawaii) IS Peg. He told me he owns Peg's and used to live in Portland.

After all, who BUT the owner would be serving breakfast at the counter, answering a reporter's dumb questions, pretending to believe a tall tale from a drunk tourist AND cleaning the toilets?

JD
Travel Writer
Esquire Magazine
hawk

PostPosted: Oct Wed 10, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: SHIVER ME TIMBERS Reply with quote

JD, did the Chinese guy called Peg have a patch over one eye and a parrot on his shoulder. If so, you shoulda checked the legs for signs of woodenness.
Avast, ye lubbers, and lower the plank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: