Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trip report 4/12-4/15

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PEB

PostPosted: May Sun 06, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Trip report 4/12-4/15 Reply with quote

Hi All, sorry this is so late but this is the first chance I've had to post.

As luck would have it...it snowed the day before we left for Reno. But we did get lucky and only had to chain up once on the way there and only for a short distance. No detours downtown Reno so we were able to zip right into the Fitz parking garage.

Check-in at the Fitz was fast as usual and our room was ready, dropped off our luggage and headed for the bar to unwind and relax Smile Our fav bartender was on duty, he always greets us with a smile and a handshake. We had dinner reservations for Limerick's at 5 so we had a little time to go play. I had saved my quarters for my fav machine on the 2nd floor only to find out that it was gone...lots of new machines. I tried
another but didn't have any luck.

Glad we had reservations for dinner as people were already lined up when we arrived a little before 5 pm. No waiting for us....they took us right to our table. Dinner was good and so was the service. After dinner it was time to go play and listen to George sing at the stage bar. He always puts on a good show Smile We had bought George a "thanks for the great music" gift....a really cool necktie with a saxaphone on it (it also was a hint for him to add some sax to his next CD).

The machines seemed a little tight...small paybacks, just enough to keep us playing without having to feed them. We played until about 8:30, it had been a long day so we called it a night and headed for our room. Our room was clean and comfortable, just the right temp, and as always......it was quiet. We've never had any probs with the water at the Fitz, we've always had water and great water pressure for the shower no matter what floor we were on.

The next morning while hubby was in the shower I went down to the front desk to get our tourney envelope (with our VIP badges) and found that we would have to change rooms. Someone had reserved the mini-suite we were in, guess it was their lucky room. I said it was no problem and that we'd switch as soon as hubby was out of the shower. They gave us a mini-suite on the 8th floor, the one that was lucky for me last April Smile After the room switch we headed for breakfast and then to the Keno lounge to try my luck there....no luck at Keno this time.

We headed for the penny machines on the 2nd floor, I had never played them before. I found a "Frog Prince" machine, put in $10 and played for almost 3 hours without ever having to feed the machine again. It was fun even though I didn't win Smile I will have to give it another try on my next trip. Other than a bunch of new slots, I didn't notice anymore changes to the Fitz at all. Saw mostly familiar faces for the staff and security and they were all as friendly as ever Smile Saw a man win an $1800 jackpot on a nickle machine and a lady hit a good one on a VP machine.

2 pm, registration for the tourney and to draw for our rounds. It was an tropical theme this time. I drew the 2nd round so I had time to go drink and play before my first session Smile We played one of our fav quarter machines and it kept us busy for a fewhours. The tourney machines were really tight this time, not many big scores were showing up....it was a fight just to break 10,000 points.

Had dinner at the buffet but had to wait for a table, it was a full tourney this time, 150 players (and their guests). Went back to bar to listen to George, the bar was full so we sat back down at our machine not too far away, had some drinks, listened to George sing and won a few small jackpots. Later that night I stopped by my fav $1 WOF machine and it was good to me, was up about $40 for the day. I would visit that machine again before we left for home.

Saturday, another great breakfast at the buffet, along with some of the best coffee we've had in a long time. My 2nd tourney session was at 9:30 so we remained at our table until it was time. My 2nd round wasn't very good, many were disappointed at how tight the machines were. The rest of the day was spent doing some window-shopping, and a little more gaming until it was time for my 3rd tourney session. I got a lucky machine for my last round, and was surprised to learn that I was the round winner (highest score) and won $25 I also won one of the raffles and got a really cool birdhouse Smile

The time always goes by so fast when we're in Reno, before we knew it, it was time for the tourney awards party. We found a spot at a table and waited for them to pass out the winners list (from 11th to 50th place). I found my name, I came in 13th for $100 , not bad considering how tight the machines had been. I collected my money and we headed back to the stage bar to listen to George sing again, it was our last night in town and it was too early to call it a night.

We managed to find two empty seats at the bar and as soon as he began to sing it was full....standing room only. George let me video tape his show, he even played the sax for us....it was great! People were dancing and some were singing along, everyone having a good time. I had a little too much "fun" that night.....good thing my hubby was designated driver in the elevator that night....lol

After George's show was over I wanted to go back to my $1 WOF machine and was glad I did. I put $40 in, two pulls and I got the "spin", it landed on $30. A few more pulls....another "spin", it landed on $200, soon another "spin", it landed on $100.....I pulled a few more times and decided to cash out while I was ahead.

We had been worried about the weather for Saturday, reports of a storm coming with snow at around 5,000 ft. Sunday monring we could see fresh snow in the distance and hoped we'd be ok for the trip home. Had breakfast at the buffet and back to our room to get our luggage. Turned on our scanner (sure comes in handy) to the weather report, we woudln't be able to go home the way we came due to the snow so we'd have to try our luck with 80.

Glad we took 80 home, the pass was clear with no chain requirements. It's a little longer drive but it was worth it to be safe. It wasn't easy to leave Reno....I wish we could have stayed longer. We always have a great time at the Fitz and hate for it to come to an end. I'm looking forward to our next trip already Smile

If any of you are going to be at the Fitz....if you see George, please tell him that his "two fans from Yosemite" said hello.....thanks! Smile
Good luck to all!
Dave

PostPosted: May Sun 06, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great trip report as always PEB. Glad you had fun. Time definitely flies by in Reno! I've never spent too much time at the Fitz but it really does seem like a fun place. Hopefully there won't be any drastic changes. Thanks again for sharing.
Dave
CaSwede

PostPosted: May Mon 07, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. I was trying to figure out which highway you used to get to Reno. Hwy 88? or 50? It seems to me these would be a longer drive from Yosemite in winter conditions, since 120 and 108 are closed?
alison

PostPosted: May Mon 07, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your report. It gets me even more excited for Reno. I need to start going back to the Fitz. They stopped sending me my free $75.00 meal offers since i have not been there in awhile.

Good for you for getting $100.00 out of the tourney. I have never played in a tourney and have always wanted to. I think the Pep has a free tourney on Thursdays. I might have to sign up for one this next trip.

Ali
Mammothgambler

PostPosted: May Mon 07, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEB,

Thanks for the trip report. Sounds like you had a good one, and glad you got a chance to check out some of the penny machines.

floridagambler
Barb

PostPosted: May Tue 08, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peb: Enjoyed your trip report and glad the slot tourney was fun and you won. I always like to hear whats happening at the Fitz as we always stay there and have a good time. My favorite quarter machine is on the second floor and I bet it is gone now too Crying or Very sad We are going to be there at the end of the month so will check out any changes. Barb
RenoLady

PostPosted: May Wed 16, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the trip report! It's good to hear the Fitz is still plugging along with no major changes.

R and I have not done one of their tournaments yet, sounds like fun, maybe in the future.

$10 for 3 hours on pennies? You won.

Our next trip is the Brewfest in July, we're using our birthday weekend, so it's free with a meal comp too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: