Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Honest opinions needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct Thu 05, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Honest opinions needed Reply with quote

Marlene has been ragging on me for a long time about the visitreno site and logo (not the one at the top of this page). Seems she doesn't like either of them, so I reluctantly decided to revamp the whole mess. This time, I'm gathering opinions from everyone and anyone I can think of so this design will be more durable.

Please examine http://visitreno.com/new and post your opinions and suggestions here. There's no content on the page and none of the links work, I'm just looking for input on the design.

Thanks for your time and efforts in this massive undertaking. OK ... OK. It's not all that massive, I'm just trying to make you feel important.
hawk

PostPosted: Oct Thu 05, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Big Bad John, if I have the instruckshuns keerect in my fast-aging infantile mind:

I love both the logo on the other site and on this one. No need for a massive undertaking on my part. (If I get any more aches and pains, my massive undertaking may come sooner)
But, the reality is that I imagine that 99.9% of us don't come to these pages to look at a logo. I do though enjoy Dave's Famous Avatars.

But, I would like to say (in fact, I WILL say it) that most of us really appreciate how much you care. This is still the greatest site around. Thank you. I'll buy you a Heinie if we should ever meet again.

At great risk, I would suggest that Marlene is just being a wife. Wait a minute. You are not married and yet she still nags?? Hmmm? Sounds like she is a candidate for marriage.

Twisted Evil Now, may I sign this post as anonymous?
Actually, a spammer must have stolen Hawk's password. Hawk is never this frank. Twisted Evil
stan_allen

PostPosted: Oct Thu 05, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: forthright and with candor, that's the ticket Reply with quote

I think you're absolutely on the right track - the current design does feel just a tad dated, kind of like the look and feel of the early rounds of mainstream websites.
Throw in as much post-2002-era eye candy as you can, and you'll be nagged no more.
Having the Reno Arch graphic is a nice touch.

Of course, you'll invariably get the messages saying, "Where's such-and-such?", "I can't find etc. etc.", and of course, "Can we go back to the old one?" - but that's a different story.

In all honesty,

-Stan
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct Thu 05, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, guys. I Designed the present site a few years back when most folks were on dialup, and thought it would be polite to make the site light and quick. Now that isn't as important.

Keep 'em coming.

John
Dave

PostPosted: Oct Thu 05, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John,
Not a change guy here at all John and yes my friend I am still on dial up. Man I am behind the times! Anyways the new site looks good but kind of reminds me of that other site the reno tahoe guide. Not that that site is bad just different. Now you have to remember that I still think back on the old days when we use to do roll call once in a while. Remember that?! Heck I can still remember as a young buck rolling from the Comstock over the Riverboat and back to the Sundowner. Oh the memories............
Sorry got off the subject you do a great job and either way I am just happy to have such a great site. I like it the way it is but that may just be me.
Plain Dave
Smile
You know speaking of the old days I sure wish Cali would drop in here for a message or two! She was great Confused
alison

PostPosted: Oct Fri 06, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Strangers,

I like the site the way it is. I think the new design you had was a little too much. Maybe if it just had the Reno sign portion only and not the other stuff it would be ok. it looks too busy with all that other stuff. Just my opinion.

Alison
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct Fri 06, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Dave, I also remember the good old roll call days. That was when we had the old board which didn't have members and all the spammers destroyed it. The member list sorta outdated the roll call. You mentioned that "other Reno site". You mean there's another Reno site?

And Alison, thanks for your input and be assured the graphics in the white area will be only on the home page as a visual indicator of what's to be found on the site. Typically, the home page is light on content because it's mostly an introduction to the site. You'll find mostly keywords to lure the search engines in our general direction. The back pages will contain the meat and potatoes (at least the cooking pages will) Smile
CaSwede

PostPosted: Oct Fri 06, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it is time for face lift and tummy tuck on the main page. The present main page is rather bland, and needs more color and razzle dazzle. I like the new look, and realize it is just a shell now. Your title "fine dining" ? Why the word fine? Do you not want to cover normal eating? You have a large direct link to the contest, but what about these message boards. It seems to me that the message boards are a major fuel to return website visitors.

One yes vote from me!
Obijuankenobe

PostPosted: Oct Fri 06, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your title "fine dining" ? Why the word fine?

Just change it to the Nuggets number so i can call ahead for an Awful Awful!
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct Fri 06, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Awful Awful??? Now, THAT's fine dining!
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct Fri 06, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawk wrote:
Now, may I sign this post as anonymous?
Actually, a spammer must have stolen Hawk's password. Hawk is never this frank. Twisted Evil

Darn ole' spammers.
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct Fri 06, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Site Update? Reply with quote

I checked out the "possible" new site and I think it's OK. I think the Visit Reno Logo should be more prominent though. As far as logos go, I really liked the old oval one with the gold lettering. I never really thought about it before but I suppose the homepage could use a bit more pizazz. Your board members will remain loyal whatever you and Marlene eventually agree upon. (I trust you will steer away from cheap flashing animated gifs and other attention grabbing sensationalist graphics!)

BC Dave
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct Sat 07, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Site Update? Reply with quote

BC Dave wrote:
(I trust you will steer away from cheap flashing animated gifs and other attention grabbing sensationalist graphics!)

BC Dave

You're right about the flashy graphics. I'd never even consider animated stuff anywhere on the Internet.

ps...Thanks for the static, low-key new avatar. You are a very imaginative and clever young (?) man.
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct Sat 07, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Flashy stuff Reply with quote

Thanks for accepting the new avatar. Yes, we needed to tone down the old one a bit. Thanks for the compliment too. Only... what's that question mark in brackets refering to?

BC Dave
ErininSD

PostPosted: Oct Tue 10, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new format. I think the graphics are nice and it fits more with what Reno is about.

I think the old format has way too much going on and is kind of blah.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: