Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Picture Locations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
llkraus

PostPosted: Sep Fri 22, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Picture Locations Reply with quote

I'm scheduled to come to Reno the first weekend in November and will have a little over a day before my friend arrives. I always do a short movie documenting our trip, using a variety of stills and movies.

Where are good places for taking pictures? I'm interested in getting some good skyline shots (both during the day and at night), as well as night shots downtown. I will probably be using a digital camera (5.0 Megapixel) that will do either stills or short movies.

I will arrive at RNO sometime around 11:30 a.m., and will be staying at the Grand Sierra that night. I will have a car, so I should be able to get out of town, if need be, for locations.

Thanks,

llk
remano

PostPosted: Sep Fri 22, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the Grand Sierra has an observation deck or anything like that, but there should be some good views of downtown from high up in their tower.

The top level of Fitzgerald's parking ramp will give some interesting angles on the downtown scene.

From Meadowood Mall, get on S. McCarran going west/north. After you go past Lakeridgh Country Club you start going up a hill that tops off with a traffic light at the intersection with Caughlin Parkway. Just past that light there will be some good views of the city off to your right. Traffic can be heavy and there's not good parking, but you can either pull off on the shoulder or there's a small shopping center on Caughlin Pkwy where you can park and walk.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep Fri 22, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great location is waaaaaay south on Lakeside Dr, about a mile past McCarran. There's a scenic lookout with a beautiful view of Reno and Sparks. If you're fast and fearless, the Wells Ave. overpass (heading South) offers a great view of downtown, especially at night. Unfortunately, I think there's no pedestrian traffic allowed, so you have to jump out of the car, grab the picture and hurry back before getting run over by drunken maniacs. Late at night is your best bet.
llkraus

PostPosted: Sep Fri 22, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far south are those locations (both near McCarren)? I'm curious as to how long a lense I would need to get a reasonably good picture.

Thanks for the responses!

llk
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep Fri 22, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llkraus wrote:
How far south are those locations (both near McCarren)? I'm curious as to how long a lense I would need to get a reasonably good picture.

The Hubble telescope would suffice. The location I suggested is way out there, but has a great view of Reno and Sparks. A strong telephoto lens and a tripod for night shots are a must.
llkraus

PostPosted: Sep Mon 25, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john wrote:
llkraus wrote:

The Hubble telescope would suffice. The location I suggested is way out there, but has a great view of Reno and Sparks. A strong telephoto lens and a tripod for night shots are a must.

Thanks, John. I'll drive out and check it out.

llk
remano

PostPosted: Sep Mon 25, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

llkraus wrote:

Thanks for the responses!

llk

I don't know enough about photography to comment on lense details, but the place I mentioned (McCarran near Caughlin Pkwy) is probably about two miles west of downtown as the crow flies and 700 feet higher. That's more of a guess than an estimate.

BTW, the intersecting street on the east is called Cashill Blvd., on the west it's Caughlin Pkwy. Same street, different name so look for either one.
llkraus

PostPosted: Sep Mon 25, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remano wrote:

I don't know enough about photography to comment on lense details, but the place I mentioned (McCarran near Caughlin Pkwy) is probably about two miles west of downtown as the crow flies and 700 feet higher. That's more of a guess than an estimate.

BTW, the intersecting street on the east is called Cashill Blvd., on the west it's Caughlin Pkwy. Same street, different name so look for either one.

Thanks, Remano. I will definitely check it out. If the camera works, I'll try to post the results upon my return.

llk
ErininSD

PostPosted: Sep Wed 27, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spot John is referring to is Windy Hill, it's straight out Lakeside Drive to the South.

If you're downtown, go down to the Riverwalk, there has to be some great photos of the bridges and Truckee River. While downtown, you also have to get a photo of the new Reno arch, and also the old arch, which is on Center St.

Are you going to have an SUV, because you can take it to the top of Peavine Mtn and have the best view of all...LOL.

Erin
remano

PostPosted: Sep Wed 27, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ErininSD"]* * * and also the old arch, which is on Center St.* * *quote]

It's on Lake Street, only a block east of Center so easily confused. Near the east side of the Siena. Good suggestion, it is worth a drive-by for a pictue.
llkraus

PostPosted: Sep Wed 27, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErininSD wrote:
The spot John is referring to is Windy Hill, it's straight out Lakeside Drive to the South.

If you're downtown, go down to the Riverwalk, there has to be some great photos of the bridges and Truckee River. While downtown, you also have to get a photo of the new Reno arch, and also the old arch, which is on Center St.

Are you going to have an SUV, because you can take it to the top of Peavine Mtn and have the best view of all...LOL.

Erin

I have bunches of pictures of both arches, so probably won't spend a lot of time there; however, the Riverwalk is a great idea.

Also, I have two cars reserved, one of which is a Grand Cherokee. I usually wait to see what the weather is before making my final selection. I missed the infered joke about Peavine Mt. Can you explain it to me, or is it a good place to get a picture?

Thanks,

llk
ErininSD

PostPosted: Sep Thu 28, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remano, thanks for clarifying the streets! Since I've been gone since '98, I get easily confused...LOL

llkraus, Peavine Mountain is to the Northwest of Reno. It's probably the tallest peak in that area. If you're looking out your hotel window toward that direction, you can't miss it. I've actually driven up there with my husband (he likes hangliding from it) and the views were phenomenal, but it was a dirt road and probably took 30-45 minutes to get to the top.
llkraus

PostPosted: Sep Thu 28, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErininSD wrote:

llkraus, Peavine Mountain is to the Northwest of Reno. It's probably the tallest peak in that area. If you're looking out your hotel window toward that direction, you can't miss it. I've actually driven up there with my husband (he likes hangliding from it) and the views were phenomenal, but it was a dirt road and probably took 30-45 minutes to get to the top.

Thanks for the clarification. Are there lots of signs on the highway giving directions to it? I might try to make the trip.

llk
ErininSD

PostPosted: Sep Thu 28, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was probably 10 year ago, when we drove up there. I know we took 395 north and took the same road that ran by the wild animal sanctuary (not sure of the name?), but from there I couldn't tell you where to go. The road going up was an Ok road, since it's used to service the atennaes on the top.
llkraus

PostPosted: Sep Thu 28, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErininSD wrote:
It was probably 10 year ago, when we drove up there. I know we took 395 north and took the same road that ran by the wild animal sanctuary (not sure of the name?), but from there I couldn't tell you where to go. The road going up was an Ok road, since it's used to service the atennaes on the top.

Thanks! I was also able to get basic directions from Mapquest. I'm leaning strongly toward the Jeep and will go up there if possible.

Thanks again,

llk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: