Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Liberty Belle Update

View previous topic :: View next topic  
remano

PostPosted: Apr Wed 26, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Liberty Belle Update Reply with quote

According to this morning's RGJ the Liberty Belle building has been sold to the Reno Sparks Convention and Visitor's Authority for about one million dollars. That's $72,000 more than their last offer but almost $400,000 less than the Fey family was asking for it. The contents of the building, including most of the slot machines, will be sold at auction in the convention center on July 7.

The building will be demolished and replaced by a parking lot. Personally, I don't think they need more parking there. I think they should lower the grade and landscape the area so the front of the convention center is more visible and attractive (as if that monstrosity could ever be called attractive!).
spinner

PostPosted: Apr Wed 26, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly what Reno needs to boost its image and uniqueness to other locales, a new parking lot. The Liberty Belle is a quirky building, harkens back to the past. Lot's of people in Reno, and lots of tourists have good memories of nice dinners in there. I know that a parking lot will be a fitting end to yet another piece of Reno history. Seems like that restaurant entertained many more families than an expanded parking lot will.

Next time I drive by the ugly convention center I can say, "There used to be a unique building there, but it is gone." It used to house a famous collection of slot machines, with the heirs to Mr. Fey holding them. Yes, the creator of the slot machine. Now those will be thrown to the wind with people buying them to put in their private residences. The city of Reno should have tried to acquire them.

Goodbye Liberty Belle, I will miss you, the slots and the great Prime Rib.
Ryder

PostPosted: Apr Fri 28, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of this place until a couple of months ago. just curious if it is still open (heading to reno in June, might like to visit this place.....before it becomes a parking garage)

I agree with above posters......why not turn this place into a Reno museum or atleast relocate the machines to a museum somewhere in the city.....the place sounds unique and interesting.
remano

PostPosted: Apr Sat 29, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been closed for a while now.

Your last chance to see the slot machine collection in one place (including some that were not on display in the restaurant) will probably be at the auction. IGT has been considering buying some of them for display, but not the entire collection. The last I heard, though, they still had not made a final decision.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: