Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PROSPECTING IN RENO AREA?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenofool

PostPosted: Aug Tue 01, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: PROSPECTING IN RENO AREA? Reply with quote

Hello to all, I have a friend going to HAN next week and was wondering if there's an area near Reno that he could go prospecting for Gold with a metal detector for a couple hours yet not to far?
JD

PostPosted: Aug Wed 02, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Metal detecting Reply with quote

Yes....Virginia City. 26 miles away from the Silver Legacy. South on the 580 freeway 15 miles & left on 341... 11 miles up 341.

Go up hill at Taylor street (very steep)....three blocks and park out of the way near Howard Street.

Park out of the way near the extreme steep driveway on the left . That house has been vacant but you can walk up the driveway past the house
and there is a bunch of vacant land that had houses 100 years ago.

A metal detector is likely to find square nails and artifacts from early miner's cabins...BUT last year there were some huge rainstorms that eroded some ditches.....no telling what might have washed down from above. TRY to be discrete but that'll be tough during HAN. It will be crowded and hard to park on C street.

If you stop at the visitors Center...they used to have a poster map that showed all of the buildings that were up on the hill where Howard street ends. That house up the steep driveway still has a vertical mining shaft under it....the Best & Belcher mine which intersects with the horizontal drift of the mining tour in the back of the Ponderosa Saloon.
Kenofool

PostPosted: Aug Thu 03, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD, Thanks so much for this great information and I will pass it on.
JD

PostPosted: Aug Thu 03, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Best & Belcher Reply with quote

Address of the house with very steep driveway is: 120 South Howard. The ONLY house (today) on Howard South of Taylor. Howard street technically still exists but all of the old cabins that used to be up there have been knocked down years ago.

If you can find the old birds eye view look for "Best & Belcher Headworks"
On google maps: 120 SOUTH Howard Street (there is also a North Howard) Virginia City, 89440 then rotate to nearly South. Walk up past the "Dead End" sign.... wear boots, gloves and jeans.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3099911,-119.6518953,3a,75y,203.54h,87.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sW6LSH8jZZSV-AYGFOsvlCw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

1875 Bird's Eye Map:

https://www.loc.gov/resource/g4354v.pm004690/

click on map three times then you can read the street names. Find Howard and where it dead ends on the South.
JD

PostPosted: Aug Mon 07, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well?
spdmrcht

PostPosted: Aug Wed 09, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well now we know why you go to VC so much, you been paying for you whole trips with the gold you find!
Keyhood

PostPosted: Oct Tue 10, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: PROSPECTING IN RENO AREA? Reply with quote

Kenofool wrote:
Hello to all, I have a friend going to HAN next week and was wondering if there's an area near Reno that he could go prospecting for Gold with a metal detector for a couple hours yet not to far?

Hi Kenofoo, I hope your friend will have a safe trip.
Kenofool

PostPosted: Nov Sun 12, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend never broke away from hot august nights and did not make it to Virginia City.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: