Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about Truckee River, Downtown

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
alison



Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 1113

PostPosted: Mar Thu 23, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Question about Truckee River, Downtown Reply with quote

Ok. So my friend is determined to bring her metal detector and look for rings and such that have been thrown in the truckee. We will be there in June. She was wanting to do this downtown. One can you do this? Two is the water too deep and fast in June? Three where would be a good spot to potentially do this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spdmrcht



Joined: 12 Oct 2012
Posts: 459

PostPosted: Mar Thu 23, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have had hugh amounts of snow in the mountains and I believe
the river has gone over it's banks in places already, so who knows there is
a couple web cams for down town reno and 2 show the river, I don't remember the site but john or some one will be able to give them to you.
Also there should be a Gov. web page that shows the flows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
remano



Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 716

PostPosted: Mar Fri 24, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legend is that newly divorced people would throw their wedding rings into the river from the Virginia Street bridge, so there and downstream would be the place to start. I have occasionally seen accounts of treasure hunters searching the area, but have never heard of any successes.

Add to that the fact that the river was at historic lows last summer, and the stream was also rechanneled from one side to the other and back again for the bridge construction, so that every part of the river bed was exposed at one time or another. If there was anything to be found it probably would have been discovered then.

I would also expect the current to be pretty high this June. Right now the water is higher than I have seen it in 15 years, the reservoirs are full, Lake Tahoe is nearly full and there is still lots of snow to melt (Mt. Rose and Homewood ski areas expect to stay open until Memorial Day). That all adds up to lots of water yet to come down.

Google "wedding rings in the Truckee River" for links to several articles on the subject.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alison



Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 1113

PostPosted: Mar Fri 24, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remano wrote:
The legend is that newly divorced people would throw their wedding rings into the river from the Virginia Street bridge, so there and downstream would be the place to start. I have occasionally seen accounts of treasure hunters searching the area, but have never heard of any successes.

Add to that the fact that the river was at historic lows last summer, and the stream was also rechanneled from one side to the other and back again for the bridge construction, so that every part of the river bed was exposed at one time or another. If there was anything to be found it probably would have been discovered then.

I would also expect the current to be pretty high this June. Right now the water is higher than I have seen it in 15 years, the reservoirs are full, Lake Tahoe is nearly full and there is still lots of snow to melt (Mt. Rose and Homewood ski areas expect to stay open until Memorial Day). That all adds up to lots of water yet to come down.

Google "wedding rings in the Truckee River" for links to several articles on the subject.


Yeah this is exactly why she wants to look..Lol... She is aware of the divorce rate and people supposedly throwing their rings into the river. The temps in June average in the 80's but i figured it may be too early still to attempt this with the water levels probably being high still. I told her about all the high water levels, flooding ect so we will just have to keep an eye out. Dont really wanna lug that thing around in my car if we dont have too. Smile

Excited to head down and stay at the Atlantis and Silver Legacy. Will be so different than our usual Pep trips. Im looking forward to it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alison



Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 1113

PostPosted: Mar Fri 24, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spdmrcht wrote:
They have had hugh amounts of snow in the mountains and I believe
the river has gone over it's banks in places already, so who knows there is
a couple web cams for down town reno and 2 show the river, I don't remember the site but john or some one will be able to give them to you.
Also there should be a Gov. web page that shows the flows.


Thanks! I have seen of the cams and it looks like its still moving pretty fast...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spdmrcht



Joined: 12 Oct 2012
Posts: 459

PostPosted: Mar Fri 24, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of those rings ended up in the pawn shops
rather than in the River! I think that was more of publicity
stunt than fact! !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CaSwede



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 866

PostPosted: Mar Sat 25, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Let me tell you that the water is cold! The wedding ring toss goes back to the 50's when Reno was known as the divorce capital due to easy divorce laws.

She might find a bottle cap, but a wedding ring is highly unlikely.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alison



Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 1113

PostPosted: Mar Sun 26, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaSwede wrote:
LOL Let me tell you that the water is cold! The wedding ring toss goes back to the 50's when Reno was known as the divorce capital due to easy divorce laws.

She might find a bottle cap, but a wedding ring is highly unlikely.


Lol....Yeah I highly doubt she would find anything either. If she could even get in the water. I'm sure its gonna be too cold and deep still.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BC Dave



Joined: 18 Dec 2005
Posts: 1351

PostPosted: Mar Sun 26, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Ring toss? Reply with quote

Tossing that ring into the Truckee river might be a great symbolic and liberating gesture, but I wonder if it's actually occurred as often as the legend suggests. I would think that there would be a strong temptation to pawn those rings and have at least one fun (and possibly profitable) night at the casinos.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alison



Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 1113

PostPosted: Mar Sun 26, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring toss? Reply with quote

BC Dave wrote:
Tossing that ring into the Truckee river might be a great symbolic and liberating gesture, but I wonder if it's actually occurred as often as the legend suggests. I would think that there would be a strong temptation to pawn those rings and have at least one fun (and possibly profitable) night at the casinos.


That's what I'd do!!

You never know what could be found in there though. People loose stuff in rivers all the time. I just don't think I'd have the patience to search. Lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group