Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Victory Celebration Reno Trip
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaSwede

PostPosted: Sep Tue 06, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Victory Celebration Reno Trip Reply with quote

I consider those on this board my friends. And what do friends do? They share good news and I have some good news.

In November of 2014 without any symptoms I was diagnosed with stage 4 liver cancer. It was a big blow and the doctor gave me only a few months or with chemo a 50% chance of making it 2 years. I think I am going to make it for the 2 years. Liver cancer is one of the worst one a person can get....look up survivor rates.

I have had more than 50 chemo sessions and they are really tough. It has been a hard thing to go through. Despite the chemo I have made a few trips to Reno, but with a reduced energy level on my part. However, these trips give me mental strength to get me through the next session.

My Doctor hit upon a drug combination that seemed to work for me. Three months ago a scan showed no cancer in my body! However, I had a similar result about a year ago and it came back. I continued on with the chemo and less than two weeks ago the next scan again showed no cancer in me!! Very Happy My doctor said I can now use the big "R" word- Remission. She canceled all the chemo and said come back and see me in October.

I am still trying to process the above information, but it is wonderful news for sure.

My wife and I are attending a wedding in less than two weeks near Sacramento and that is on the way to Reno. So, we are going to spend a couple of nights in a Tuscany Suite at the Peppermill to celebrate and have some fun. I am not sure where else we will stop but it will be wonderful. In addition, this will be our 45th wedding anniversary! Note: we were very young when we got married.

Good news is always great to share!!!!

Last edited by CaSwede on Sep Tue 06, 2016 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
JD

PostPosted: Sep Tue 06, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, that's great, Swede. I had no idea you've been ill. My family has been thru that scare and I know the fear it can bring. Any chance you'll be in Reno between 25 Sept - Oct 9? The Outhouse races in VC are on Oct 1st.
stan_allen

PostPosted: Sep Tue 06, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Good news is always good to hear! Reply with quote

Tremendous! A hearty round of applause to you...and yes, go party up in Reno to celebrate!!!
CaSwede

PostPosted: Sep Tue 06, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Here I go again Reply with quote

I will be in Reno Sept. 18 and 19. Actually, I decided about an hour ago to head up there tomorrow. I will spend one night at North Lake Tahoe and one night at Boomtown.
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep Tue 06, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Fantastic! Reply with quote

Great to hear that CaSwede! Those Tuscany suites are great. Treating yourself to a high old time at the Pep is just what the doctor ordered. Well at least it's what your friends on VisitReno.com would insist is good for body and soul.
mjames1229

PostPosted: Sep Tue 06, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

I don't have any cancer survival stories in my circle of friends or relatives, so I will celebrate yours with a big bottle of water! (Sorry, I am on a strict diet as I try to lose 100#).

salemgambler

PostPosted: Sep Tue 06, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: The best of the best news. Reply with quote

Swede,
We've never met but rest assured, I consider all members of this board, a friend and comrade.
Anyone that beats the "beast" is awesome.
Nothing but the best today and for the next 50 yrs.
Aloha!
Slacker

PostPosted: Sep Wed 07, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job on your part, have a great time in Reno
CaSwede

PostPosted: Sep Fri 09, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice responses. I was in Reno yesterday for a whirlwind visit, but I will be there again for a serious visit in 9 days.
Dave

PostPosted: Sep Fri 09, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news!!! Congratulations on 45 years that is wonderful!
VAPA

PostPosted: Sep Sun 11, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad things are looking up for you.
SeahawkSiren

PostPosted: Sep Thu 15, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Swede! Double great news! Beating cancer and celebrating 45 years of marriage are two things definitely worth celebrating! Congrats! Very Happy

I know you will fully enjoy your trip to Reno!
CaSwede

PostPosted: Sep Tue 20, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: reporting In.... Reply with quote

I returned this afternoon from our victory celebration trip. It was a wonderful long weekend. The wedding we attended on Saturday was great. We got special recognition for our 45th wedding anniversary on that date.

We went to Atlantis on Sunday afternoon and played there for about 4-5 hours. I had $55.00 in free play which my wife played on for the entire visit. We had dinner at the Atlantis Steakhouse. It is very nice, expensive and fancy. I thought I would order a nice bottle of wine to have with our dinner, but everything was over $100 !! So, I got a half a bottle of a nice Cab for $65....still way to expensive. Do you know how many glasses of wine I can get out of my $9.95 Jug of Carlos Rossi? Way more than the small bottle we had....

edit: I had enough comps at
Atlantis to pay for the entire dinner. I guess I should not complain.

We spent Sunday and last night at the Peppermill in the Tuscany tower. It is very nice. I had $75.00 in free play and it lasted about 3 hours, which I think is pretty good. Later in the afternoon/evening we hit on some good luck. I hit the progressive royal at the Cabaret lounge for $2,050 and another tax form. My wife had great luck playing the $1 bonus poker game and we came home - after expenses of $2,500 to $2,700. What a wonderful country we live in to allow this. !!!! Yes, this is legal.

It was a great trip to Reno in many ways. Very Happy Very Happy Cool Laughing
JD

PostPosted: Sep Tue 20, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great victory lap story Swede.

The price of wine in the restaurants really is getting out of hand. So in keeping with MY way of easing the pain of gaming losses....(which works best AFTER the total loss of inhibitions OR sense of dignity)...is I usually sit at the bar playing VP and often establish a "relationship" with some of the bartenders....(meaning they go home with a stack of two dollar bills).

THEN, just before I go to eat...ask for one of those BIG Goblet stems which, "Mr. Carano told me I should try his Cab that won some award???" "Any idea what he was referring to?" Then I look at my watch and say...."Damn dinner reservations in 5 minutes...BYE....Be back after dinner..."

Now this does not work well at the Cal Neva but I usually can score a big water glass of Franzia Burgundy before my $ 6.99 Prime Rib. Once they charged me for the wine I took in with me...which I promptly deducted from his tip.

As I said....this works better when dignity and sense of propriety is long departed.

If anyone tries this ... let me know how it works for YOU.
CaSwede

PostPosted: Sep Wed 21, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: More Reply with quote

Oh yea. Smuggling in some wine or beer to the restaurant. I like to think of it as cutting out the middleman. Many places the wine is kept at the bar, so the waiter goes over to the bar and then brings it to you at a huge premium price.

When I do that, I always tell the waiter I brought my own wine and there seems to be no problem. The problem I now have is that my palate has now become more "refined" and I can tell the difference between the cheap stuff and the high end wines.

I was just checking out my points earned on my Peppermill site. I started playing about 6 AM and played pretty much all day until midnight. If the Points/dollar in is correct, my wife and I put through $23,000 coin in on Monday. That is probably a record for me. I also played about two hours on the table games. I doubt I will get the offers that
Alison gets, but I could move up a little? We will see. It is possible they will cut me off as my last two trips I came out more than $2K ahead each time. I have been cut off before for winning too much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: