Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need some input

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alison

PostPosted: Sep Sun 13, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: need some input Reply with quote

We always take i5 down to reno. My friend wants to go over to Yakima WA, then cut down to reno. The main way doing this takes us down us-97, around crater lake and downward. We have done the crater lake route once. Its pretty foreign to me. Being we are leaving at 5:15 at night, she thinks this will be less traffic then the other route. My main concerns are since this isn't i5, will there be more chances of deer and other wild animals running out in front of us late at night? Will it be less safe to stop at rest stops if we want to try to nap? Do we shoot over to i5 once in Oregon? I know there's a couple of you who may have some input.
salemgambler

PostPosted: Sep Sun 13, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Safety first Reply with quote

Just my opinion but there are always a chance of striking a deer, especially at night. Just drove to Reno Sept 6th on I-5 and nearly hit a deer that was spooked by a another predator ( perhaps a cougar) IN BROAD DAYLIGHT! Happened around 3 in the afternoon, with the sun shining brightly. There's always a chance of encountering animals at nights driving on any road.
JD

PostPosted: Sep Sun 13, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reno routes Reply with quote

641 miles & exactly 9 driving hours From the Southern edge of Portland w/, the I-5 to Eugene, Hwy 58 to 97, 97 thru K falls thru Alturas to Reno is 541 miles (thru Susanville via Eagle lake is 16 miles shorter...but higher elevation and twisting roads MIGHT be quicker, might not) Mid week, good weather Eagle Lake best. Winter or Holiday weekend...Alturas better.

That is the fastest way from Portland. Be sure to fuel up in K Falls. Gas in Calif. can be 40 cents/gal more.

Where are you starting from and what date/time of day will you be fighting I-5 traffic?
salemgambler

PostPosted: Sep Mon 14, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Question for JD Reply with quote

Jd,
Are you saying that going thru Susanville ( turn right at junction) is shorter by 16 miles? I have always gone thru Likely and turned on road A3 ( ?) than connected to the main road leading to Reno.
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep Mon 14, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: My route Reply with quote

Most of my driving trips have been down the I-5 to Mt. Shasta, thru Susanville and on to Reno. I try to time my departure so that I drive through Seattle and Portland when the traffic is light. (Late evening thru Seattle and very early thru Portland).

It's a long drive no matter which route you choose. I like going down the I-5 that far as it's generally quite fast and in the unlikely event of a breakdown there's a fair amount of traffic and you should be able to get help quickly.

The stretch between Mt. Shasta and Reno is quite scenic and once I had driven it a few times the road had a familiar feeling to it - kinda comforting.

And GPS is a wonderful thing.
alison

PostPosted: Sep Mon 14, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know animals are always out, i just figure the more rural the more chances. I live in a rural area and encounter deer almost every day. Smile

I believe you gave me directions before BC Dave or was it JD several years ago. I really dont want to go this route but thats what it is. Her Ford does have GPS built in too which is nice.

We will be leaving From Redmond, Wa around 5:15 p.m. tomorrow night. If anyone knows traffice around here on i-405 and down to I5 that time, it is basically a parking lot. Thats why she wants to take I90 to yakima and shoot down 97. I just like the I5 route as i am familiar with it.

Just looked up gas in Klamath falls and it is CHEAP!
JD

PostPosted: Sep Mon 14, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Route Choices Reply with quote

Salem Gambler:

Ya, I've driven all those routes with a GPS. Near Canby, CA where Southbound 139 ends (with the rumble strips) at 299.... you can:

1) Turn RIGHT and go past Eagle Lake and THRU Adin & Alturas. Nice scenic drive. A lot more twisting and few places to pass. 16 miles SHORTER than thru Alturas & Likely . At 6 am on a weekday...my preferred choice. Winter or if you get stuck behind a Winabago weekend... not so much.

2) Turn LEFT and go thru Alturas. Be sure to turn RIGHT on 395 in Alturas and follow signs to Likely. YES the A-10 at Litchfield is a necessary short cut if time is important. The BEST thing about this rout is the long, straight passing lanes.

3) If you are REALLY adventurous... at Alturas go STRAIGHT on 299 and follow signs to Cedarville. MUCH longer but you can go thru Gerlach and near the Black Rock Desert on 447. Pyramid Lake Nixon....yada yada.

------------------------
BC DAVE:

The Dunsmir/ Susanville route IS picturesque. And it is a fact, you must pick ONE way to get over the Cascades. I don't recall now, but I do recall comparing that lovely mountain drive is almost an hour longer than the 80 miles the Hwy 58 from Springfield to Hwy 97 is.

-----------------------

Allison:

You are correct to want to avoid I-5 thru Portland IF you are going to be close to any rush hour. But that "Yakima" shortcut LOOKS way outta the way. And I've only drove it twice...many years ago.

Have you checked google maps for the different routes ? The usually are close on distance/time. They even ask what time you are planning in an attempt to take congestion into consideration. Then you can use the mouse to move different parts of the trip around.

Cutting from I-5 to 97 can be done at maybe a dozen options. Hwy 58 is the fastest and shortest.

I live one mile North of I-5 exit 294 where it turns South. What time should I be standing on the freeway with my thumb out?

Good luck and you can work on that trip report in the car.

Oh.... It just started raining in Portland and as the first rain for a while...I expect some slipping and sliding in the next day or so. So be advised.
alison

PostPosted: Sep Mon 14, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD- Yes i have checked for different routes. Smile

Going from Redmond to Yakima to Reno is actually 15 miles shorter than going from Redmond down I5 To reno. Go figure. I thought for sure it would be longer.

We went thru alturas once...the route i think we will go tho is from I-97 to Ca-139 to 395. Thats about 15 miles or so shorter than the Alturas route it looks like.

So sorry i wont be able to pick ya up..LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: