Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exchange Rates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaSwede

PostPosted: Jan Fri 30, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Exchange Rates Reply with quote

I like to follow the financial news and I see that in the last few months the dollar has become very strong compared to other currencies.

By any chance do we have any regular posters on this forum from Canada? Your dollar will only get you about $.78 in Reno.
stan_allen

PostPosted: Jan Fri 30, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: U.S. currency is takin' off, eh? Reply with quote

Isn't that BCDave webmaster guy one of them Canucks? Hey, hoser - chime in, eh??
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan Fri 30, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Not happy, but still out there. Reply with quote

Our dollar has done some wild fluctuations in the last 30 years or so. And yes, it's taken a nose dive in the last while. Just last week it would buy over 80 cents US now it's around 78 cents. Ugh! This takes the bargain out of our bargain hunting trips to Washington State and drives up the Reno trip costs as well. The reasons for the low Canuck dollar (according to the experts) are (1) oil prices and (2) the Bank of Canada just lowered the central bank rate to 3/4 of a percent.

However the best cure for these kind of woes is a trip to Reno. I've been down to Reno when the Canadian dollar was super low (69 cents US) so I'm still in the picture.

I've also been to Reno when our dollar has been soaring. I think it will again. Our federal government says it's on track for a balanced budget. And yes I believe everything politicians say and everything I read on the internet.
spdmrcht

PostPosted: Jan Fri 30, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Not happy, but still out there. Reply with quote

BC Dave wrote:
Our dollar has done some wild fluctuations in the last 30 years or so. And yes, it's taken a nose dive in the last while. Just last week it would buy over 80 cents US now it's around 78 cents. Ugh! This takes the bargain out of our bargain hunting trips to Washington State and drives up the Reno trip costs as well. The reasons for the low Canuck dollar (according to the experts) are (1) oil prices and (2) the Bank of Canada just lowered the central bank rate to 3/4 of a percent.

However the best cure for these kind of woes is a trip to Reno. I've been down to Reno when the Canadian dollar was super low (69 cents US) so I'm still in the picture.

I've also been to Reno when our dollar has been soaring. I think it will again. Our federal government says it's on track for a balanced budget. And yes I believe everything politicians say and everything I read on the internet.
Hey Dave I have a bridge for sale, it's just south of Laughlin and it's a steal at 200K. Be the first to own your own Bridge!
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan Sat 31, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: Hmmm... Reply with quote

It's tempting, but I've already paid for that new Virginia Street Bridge. My contribution to the Reno Downtown Makeover project.
http://blogs.rgj.com/renorebirth/files/2013/02/Va-Street-Bridge.jpg

Speaking of exchange rates - the Cal Neva used to be Canadian's home away from home. They always offered (through the late 80's and 90's) really great exchange rates - much better than the banks. So while the flights from Canada continued, me and my fellow Canucks gave the old Cal Neva our $20 bills in exchange for $18, then $16 and as low as $14 US. We were always treated with coupons for 2 for 1 dinners, free drinks and the restaurants took Canadian money at par. Thanks Cal Neva, you earned a place in our hearts.
CaSwede

PostPosted: Jan Sat 31, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Not happy, but still out there. Reply with quote

BC Dave wrote:
Our federal government says it's on track for a balanced budget

I have never heard of such a thing. Balanced Budget? That is un-American and could never work here. That must be a Canadian idea. Shocked

For now it looks like the Loonie is on a diet.

If it makes you feel any better, almost every currency in world seems to be taking a hit this time around.

Good for the Cal-Neva. I doubt they will do that this time.
spdmrcht

PostPosted: Jan Sat 31, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Cal-Neva is Cool. Reply with quote

They have a lot of stuff going on. Sat they have a free slot tourn. and
your 20$ keno ticket gets you 2 free drink tickets plus what ever you
win. and some days they have a 20$ gets you 40$ in free play. a lot more stuff happening! Love the old school place.
Shooty

PostPosted: Feb Sat 07, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Not happy, but still out there. Reply with quote

CaSwede wrote:
BC Dave wrote:
Our federal government says it's on track for a balanced budget

I have never heard of such a thing. Balanced Budget? That is un-American and could never work here. That must be a Canadian idea. Shocked

The United States of America accomplished this quite frequently not too long ago when Bill Clinton was President. In fact, the budget was in surplus.

His final four fiscal years, actually.

I'm a patriotic American, and I get touchy about mistaken criticism of my country.

Back to all things Reno Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: