Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Much Ado About Nothing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
remano

PostPosted: Jun Sat 14, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Much Ado About Nothing Reply with quote

RGJ just published an article entitled "Ruckus Over Photos Showing Reno's Cheesy Side" about some controversial photos published in a magazine called VICE. Here is the essence of the piece:

"A social media comment-storm arose this week over some unflattering photos of Reno.

The photos by Reno photographer Kelci McIntosh appeared on the VICE magazine website "Your Town is a Paradise" section, which features images of the seamier side of cities from Honolulu to Bucharest … and now, to Reno.

At issue is whether the photos are damaging to the city's reputation, or just documenting something that exists in every city, including the Biggest Little one."

Here is a link to the actual photos:

http://www.vice.com/read/your-town-is-a-paradise-reno

Personally, I don't see anything too controversial about them, or that they are specific to Reno. They show some cheesy, if not objectionable, fashion choices, a couple karaoke shots, a slot machine, some young men on the sidewalk and a T-shirt shop. There's nothing unique to Reno and nothing you can't see in just about any other big city or tourist area across the country. Looks to me like the paper is just trying to stir things up.

Your thoughts?
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun Sat 14, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Ridiculous! Reply with quote

Is this supposedly enlightening bit of "photojournalism" restricted to just these 8 photos? A few people in poor taste attire and a small win on a slot machine? Sheesh, I could capture far worse just about anywhere. If this is supposed to illustrate Reno's decline, then things aren't so bad after all.
Mammothgambler

PostPosted: Jun Mon 16, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I had a feeling I'd be seeing this topic here before too long. I've been an avid reader of Vice Magazine since they came into existence, and I've actually met a couple of their staff members.

I know everyone's entitled to their opinion and as everyone can see by the Facebook comments, the reactions seem widespread, some great, some not so great.

One thing everyone must be aware of is that this particular "Paradise" section in Vice is intentionally NOT supposed to show paradise. Vice has always been way off the mainstream media board with stuff like this. I think a lot of people had bad reactions based on not knowing that. Cheeziness is key here.

As Remano mentioned, it's the paper just stirring things up, but beyond that, in my opinion, it's that Abbi Whitaker lady stirring things up. Based on numerous Reno related forums and articles, she's usually the very first one to lash out at people if their portrayal of Reno isn't 100% perfect, no matter how truthful the person's perception may be. I guess these agency/publicist people think they're the mayor or God or somebody, but she's far from being either one.

However, my personal opinion was that they did a great job capturing JUST downtown Reno. It was mentioned somewhere that the photog/author was from Reno. I saw stuff like this every day during my tenure there, and I'm pretty sure I bumped into one or two of these people along the way. It's Reno. It is what it is. They probably could've done better by adding other areas of Reno in the mix, but that probably would've not tied in with the theme as well.

Two questions:

Who else besides me thinks that the bulk of those interior photos were shot inside the Cal Neva? It just looks like the Cal Neva crowd I'm used to, and they also made mention of the 3 am karaoke and Twisted Tea.

Also, how come that lady was only playing one coin? Cool

Mammothgambler
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: