Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows XP Die hards?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct Sun 13, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Windows XP Die hards? Reply with quote

Looks like us XP users are going to feel like the dinosaurs did just after the big chunk of rock slammed into the earth and stirred up some real climate change 60 or 70 million years ago. I've done some looking on the web and it seems most of the experts out there are advising us to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8. They are saying that since no patches will be issued for XP or Office 2003, it will be party time for those wonderful, creative hackers out there.

My wife just got a windows 8 laptop for cheap and it was pretty easy to download a start button for it. Now we can get it to act pretty much like good old XP.

Maybe I'll stay with XP - but use the computer strictly for photos and checking VisitReno. As long as John sprays the servers daily with Lysol. (you know- for viruses).

Anybody else out there clinging to XP? Any plans yet?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct Sun 20, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: From one diehard to another Reply with quote

I too, have been desperately clinging to XP because my mind doesn't accept change very well. Even after talking to a few young geeks who say, "Windows 7 is everything XP should have been", my mind and wallet both say, "No, no, no...don't do it".

My XP computer at Roadshows®, Inc. (where I work) has become frustratingly slow lately, so I talked Randy (the big boss-man) into buying me a new gaming machine (quad core processor, 8 GB RAM, 1 terabyte hard drive and a few other impressive sounding terms). The only drawback in my mind (resistant to change, remember?) is it shipped with Windows 7. Grudgingly, I loaded programs and transferred work files from the old XP machine. No problems. Time to hook up the printer...would the XP driver work with 7? Doubtful. Plugged in the printer, disk in hand, but Windows said, "Aw, shucks, I like you because you're ruggedly handsome, built like Mr. America and smell absolutely delicious since you started using Axe Phoenix body gel, so I'll go online and find a driver for you". Worked perfectly. Thank heavens for Axe Phoenix body gel.

Right clicked on the desktop, selected personalize, desktop, themes, classic and it now looks and behaves just like XP.

Bottom line is I like Windows 7. The learning curve was close to zero and it's loaded with cool gadgets I haven't had time to play with yet. Oh, and it comes with a "Start" button, but no "Stop" button.

Dave, I saw some "Start" buttons at The Home Depot that may work with Windows 8.
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct Tue 22, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Might as well wait til the last minute Reply with quote

Guess I'll wait until the deadline draws near and see if they offer Windows 7 or 8 at a discount for all of us hangers on. Probably not - but there's no harm in waiting. I ran a couple of compatibility checkers from Microsoft on my computer. Windows 7 can run most of my programs but Windows 8 is another story.
Mammothgambler

PostPosted: Oct Wed 23, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually in the process of downloading the newest version for my Mac's VMFusion emulator program.

I'm scared.

Mammothgambler
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct Wed 23, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Not to worry Reply with quote

Mammothgambler wrote:
VMFusion emulator program.

I saw Capt. Picard repair Data's hyperbolic non-capacitative synthesizer with one of those - worked like a charm!

OK, I googled it. Run Windows programs on a Mac. Hope all goes well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: