Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When you go to Reno is it by vehicle or fly ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VAPA

PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: When you go to Reno is it by vehicle or fly ? Reply with quote

When you go to Reno is it by vehicle (car, bus, motorcycle or etc) or do you fly and if so is it SW or Allegiant. The reason for mentioning the 2 carriers is that they are considered discount carriers ?
JD

PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Portland to Reno 530 miles Reply with quote

I used to fly back before you needed a prostate exam at the airport.

But the 1 hour, 15 minute flight now turns out to punch about 7 hours out of the day. You need to get across town to avoid traffic, park miles away, wait for a shuttle, wait again if you need to check a bag, wait to get thru security, hope security is not offended by any snarky remark, strip to your skivies, do the hoekie poekie & turn yourself around, wait for a boarding pass, wait for a gate, wait for an incoming flight aircraft, wait to board....then reverse all at the other end. One time, the car parking fee was more than the R/T airline ticket.

So I drive. I leave when I want, take the route I want (past Eagle Lake is shorter but higher elevation and not recommended in snow or if Winnebagos are present. Alturas is about 14 miles more but has more passing opportunities.

9 hours easy from my house to the Eldo parking lot (only about 1 1/2 hours more than flying with the hassles)... AND I have a car when I get there.
NandJfrmNJ

PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The airfare from the east coast has been very high for Reno so we've been flying into Vegas and driving. We did it a couple of months ago and found some interesting places along the way so we're doing it again in June. Going to take a few days and see more of the sights-Devil's Postpile, Mammoth Lakes, etc.
spdmrcht

PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Whats wrong with this picture?? Reply with quote

When it takes longer to fly and cost more then driving to a
location?? Plus you stand In line after line to get on the plane
that might get you where your going, depending on if the loonies
are on board! I sure as hell won't fly. I'm one of the lucky ones
I'm retired and enjoy driving, always have, unless it was cheaper
then walking? We have to have a complete over turn of our
government. We have been going to hell in a hand basket for yrs.
And that's the Truth! PTTTT
dannta

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive to Reno during Summer and fly to Reno during Winter, especially during Super Bowl weekend, don't want to miss the action.
Shooty

PostPosted: May Fri 17, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Portland to Reno 530 miles Reply with quote

JD wrote:
But the 1 hour, 15 minute flight now turns out to punch about 7 hours out of the day.

No offense, I respect your frustration with air travel. But I'm calling BS on these numbers.
JD

PostPosted: May Fri 17, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sayin, "Don't be offended, but I'm calling you a liar"?

Call it whatever you want. But it can easily take me an hour to drive TO our Airport. Let me be more specific. Depending on time of day, it can easily take me one hour to drive to the ECONOMY PARKING area of our airport. It is about 2 miles from the terminal. And flights rarely leave when wanted.

Then you need to wait for a shuttle. Sometimes, a long time.

PDX to RNO only has four non stops/day . One stop (SFO) makes a 4 hour flight (with no delays... which never happens) plus shuttles on both ends.

Oh hell, I don't need to explain it to you.
Shooty

PostPosted: May Fri 17, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD wrote:
Are you sayin, "Don't be offended, but I'm calling you a liar"?
No, I'm not. I'm taking issue with your numbers, not your character.

Noon flight PDX-RNO. You say you live an hour from PDX. Okay, that starts to pad things. But okay.

So you leave for the airport at 9:30A, get there at 10:30. Wheels up at noon, land 130P, rent car, check into Atlantis at 215P.

That's 4 hours, 45 minutes.

Even if you're really an hour from PDX, your 7 hour claim is a large exaggeration.
remano

PostPosted: May Sat 18, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My starting point, no matter where you're going, is if you can drive it in 5 hours or less, don't fly. With driving to the airport, parking, checking baggage, going through security, picking up baggage at the destination etc., even the shortest flight is at least a 5 hour experience, and when you get there you don't have a car and must rely on public transportation. There are exceptions. Going to SF, for example, having a car is not necessarily an advantage. You have to pay extra to park it at your hotel, it's a hassle to park it anyplace else and public transportation is pretty convenient. But in Reno the hotel parking is free and there are plenty neighboring attractions you might want to drive to, so factor that in. You'll have a good time whatever you decide.
Shooty

PostPosted: May Sat 18, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that 5 hours is a pretty good rule of thumb.
Zydeco

PostPosted: May Wed 22, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I drive from Olympia WA to SeaTac (about an hour and 15), park (add 30 to that if I catch the shuttle but 45 if I don't), and then desk and bags (oh, let's add another 20 mins or so), head thru TSA (what, no dinner first?!), the wait for the flight, the 1:15 hour flight, head to baggage and car rental.....I"m thinking 4-5 hours.

What do I care? By this time I've consumed 4-5 adult beverages (yes, I'm not driving) so I don't care and in the end, I'm in Reno at the bar filling my belly with another.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: