Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OK, I live here now - is it still a trip report?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mammothgambler

PostPosted: Aug Fri 17, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: OK, I live here now - is it still a trip report? Reply with quote

Hi everyone:

Ok, I'm not sure if this should fall in the Trip Report category or elsewhere since I'm now living in Reno, but just wanted to point out a couple of highlights since me and my dog arrived.

We just left the Grand Sierra after a two night stay, and for the first time since my first visit in March, it appears the machines finally turned on for me. Oh, what a run! I think this was a record breaker with the 5 and 6 Quick Hit combinations on the board, most being with a 2 and 3 times multiplier, and those $1 Blazing 7s finally started blazing. The GSR now has chair massage services directly at your favorite machine - what will they think of next?

To anyone visiting the Reno area: Avoid Yellow Cab at all costs! I had to utilize them yesterday to get to my part-time job interview and I've never seen such madness in all of my 39 years. Long story short, I left the GSR half an hour prior to the interview, which was off of the intersection of McCarran and Longley. I was greeted by a cab driver who could barely speak English and was complaining nonstop about his job, his life, the world, etc. I told him the street address and even showed him the specific location on my iPhone. The van was wicked hot, as his air conditioner was broken. Not the best thing in the world to be sweating like a pig on the way to a job interview, but next thing I realized, he had taken me about 7 miles off course - miles down the 395 past South Meadows! What was the worst was that he just kept driving. Completely missed the turnoff at McCarran after busting 3 u-turns, and by the time I looked up, I was already 15 minutes late. I got him to pull over at the AM/PM to let me out. Worst off, by this time, the meter in the cab was at a whopping $59! He asked me what I thought a fair price to pay would be, so I told him there was nothing and to get a map and a GPS and find another job, because he truly didn't belong on the road, jumped outta the cab, and walked the rest of the way. About 4 miles. He blamed the whole incident on someone stealing his GPS during Hot August Nights. Whittlesea Checker Taxi and Reno/Sparks Cab both told me to avoid them like the plague, truly nasty, unorganized people. Fortunately I was able to salvage everything and actually started today. I'm going to be helping a woman who owns a graphic design/art studio in the area, and unfortunately, her husband passed away recently, leaving her to run the business by herself. It's going to be part time/as needed, but at least it's something. Best part is it's under the table so I don't have to worry about the unemployment police calling me!

Today we arrived at Harrah's. Gotta admit that the PetStay program they have is pretty awesome. Free food/water bowl, door sign, dish mat, poop bags, and dog treats. Tessa is one happy dog right now!

Stopped by the Nugget for an Awful Awful and an Asskicker. Perfect way to start the afternoon.

No major wins here today, but I rolled over to the Silver Legacy this afternoon, which produced these:

I was able to walk down to Walgreens to lock the funds up on one of my prepaid debit cards. Between these two gambling sessions, I couldn't have had a better welcome to Reno - except for maybe a Megabucks jackpot or two, but oh well, no complaints so far! Today's card slides at the Mansion gave me a baseball cap, a free danish at Sips, and 2 more entries to the Baron's Vault.

Hopefully tomorrow will bring some more good luck.

Mammoth-turned-Reno-gambler
LilyJDragonfly

PostPosted: Aug Fri 17, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, son! Reno is where you were meant to be!!

And sure, post it under TR whenever you go out for a roll & stroll.....
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug Fri 17, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Good Start! Reply with quote

Good start Mammoth. Thanks for the locals advice on the cab situation. Glad those reels are rollin' well for ya again. Hope the part time job is just the beginning of a long prosperous life in Reno!
Mammothgambler

PostPosted: Aug Fri 24, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone! We're still alive, and up until this afternoon, WERE still ahead! Oh well, there's always tomorrow!

I'll be sure to write another TR soon with some more funny antics and photos. Never a dull moment here in Reno...
dfens

PostPosted: Aug Sat 25, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Wow! Reply with quote

You're making everyone want to move to Reno! I appreciate the damn good info!!!!

Tessa looks like a happy dog! Have you found any restaurants/bars that are dog friendly? I usually bring my critter with me on our visits but keep her hidden in her carrier so no one knows she's with me.
remano

PostPosted: Aug Sat 25, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow! Reply with quote

dfens wrote:
Have you found any restaurants/bars that are dog friendly? I usually bring my critter with me on our visits but keep her hidden in her carrier so no one knows she's with me.

Wild River Grille (on the river, across Virginia from the post office) occasionally has dinner with your dog events. Here's a scheduel:

http://www.wildrivergrille.com/events.html
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug Sun 26, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: What's for dinner Reply with quote

You may want to be careful with that one, Remano. I've noticed 7 dogs going in and only 4 coming out. What's really for dinner?
remano

PostPosted: Aug Sun 26, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: What's for dinner Reply with quote

john wrote:
You may want to be careful with that one, Remano. I've noticed 7 dogs going in and only 4 coming out. What's really for dinner?

Beagle??? I thought I ordered a Bagel!!
Mammothgambler

PostPosted: Aug Thu 30, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info Remano, we'll have to go check it out!

Mammothgambler
JD

PostPosted: Sep Sun 02, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mammoth:

Write up on Dog Friendly venues in today's RGJ:

“Most of the time sharing food with Fido means being in a park, but if you dine at Wild River Grille’s beautiful outdoor patio, dogs are welcome!

“And, if you come on Labor Day, or any Monday evening to their now famous ‘Dinner With Your Dog’ night, your dog will get treats and a bowl of water while you enjoy some of Reno’s best al fresco dining and Shakespeare Animal Fund gets part of the proceeds, in order to help animals!”

http://blogs.rgj.com/factchecker/2012/09/01/are-dogs-allowed-at-special-events-outside-dining-in-reno-sparks/

http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/travel/uscities/guides/w/cities/wonlinecityNVReno.shtml
stan_allen

PostPosted: Oct Thu 11, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Home on the (Reno) Range... Reply with quote

Ah, Mammoth - when we first heard from you, you lived in ...what, Southern California, or something? Then it was Mammoth, and now look at you!
You're living the dream, baby! And just look at those pics! If there were ever a vision of victory in Reno, that's what it looks like!

At least now I have a mental image of how success appears...

Keep 'em coming, especially now that you're a native!
Mammothgambler

PostPosted: Oct Thu 11, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stan and great to see you back! OK, feels like I've been busy this past month, but in reality I think I'm just taking it all in. Stay tuned for another TR here shortly! Oh, and when I first joined up here, I was "Floridagambler." Then, it became "Mammothgambler" when I moved to Mammoth. I'm trying to think of something creative other than "Renogambler..."

Talk soon!
stan_allen

PostPosted: Oct Thu 11, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Luke, be a Jedi tonight... Reply with quote

"FloridaGambler"; that's right, I remember it now!

What a series of adjustments...look at it this way: if you call yourself "RenoGambler", you can at least register with that username back at the "VisitTampa.com" message board, or whatever it was that you left behind....

Hope lady luck keeps smiling on you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: