Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I should've gone back to Reno...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mammothgambler

PostPosted: Sep Tue 06, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: I should've gone back to Reno... Reply with quote

...cause I lost my ass in Vegas!

Hi, hope everyone had a fantastic Labor Day Weekend. It's the price I'm paying for being a traitor and going to Vegas instead of Reno...although fun, I was down $650 in less than 24 hours - 10 am arrival on Sunday, 8:30 am departure on Monday.

Upsides were: I stayed on the Boulder side of town this trip, as it's been almost 2 years, and got a chance to play at Boulder Station, Arizona Charlie's East, Sam's Town and the Eastside Cannery (AWESOME rooms, the place was built only a couple of years back after they finally knocked down the crusty ole' Nevada Palace...) to keep all my points active everywhere. Got a chance to score some Del Taco, El Pollo Loco, Little Caesars, WalMart Supercenter and all the other stuff you just can't get here in Mammoth (yeah, I live the simple life for sure!) Bumped into two others who were getting a cab to the airport on the way out and we were able to split the fare three ways - sure beat the $37.50 fare I paid getting over there!

Although you won't find a single old machine in the Cannery, since everything's brand new, this had to be my most up-down-up-down visit there. I blew $200 in about 30 minutes (half my original bankroll for this trip), couldn't get an early checkin, asked three different people where the bell desk was so could dump off my backpack and got pointed in 3 different directions, and finally gave up and hiked 2.3 miles up the Boulder Highway...in the 99 degree dry desert heat...to Boulder Station, as I had a good 4 hours until I could check in.

Within about 45 minutes, I was down to my last $20. Then, I found a new series of Hot Hot Super Jackpot machines that are standard 3-reel, 5 line and multigame, only about $1.50 a pull max bet. I was able to get $280 back by playing a few different machines in the row. SCORE! But not for long...

Next stop was Arizona Charlie's East. For those who haven't been there, this property marks the beginning of what I call "Shady Lane," stretching all the way down to the entrance to Sam's Town. In all my trips there, not a day has gone by where I haven't seen either the EMT, the cops, or both rolling out of there and the other all-suite, pay by the month properties that are infused in these three blocks. Not to mention getting stopped to see if i wanna buy any meth or ice. Every single time!

It hasn't changed much since my last visit about 3 1/2 years ago, but they've definitely always been on it with keeping the machines current. Found another row of the new Hot Hot Super Jackpots and played back what I won at Boulder Station...slowly but surely.

By this time, it was time to check in back at the Cannery. I was a bit surprised that the standard $50 per night incidental deposit got jacked up to $75. Must be because this is a very new property. The room was on the 4th floor and had an awesome view of the Strip to the left. Half carpet, half tile floor. Mini bar with fridge. Pretty awesome for a standard room.

Later on in the evening, I was able to get back up $380 on another new model of the Hot Hot Super Jackpot machines called MultiSpins. It's almost getting difficult to keep up with where the reels land, there are so many bonus features these days. Found some new Wheel of Fortunes and Quick Hit Platinums (but still didn't see any of the $1, 5 line, 3 reel models I'm still looking for outside of Harrah's Reno!) Along the way I figured out that the Cannery actually has an awesome cash back program, something I haven't seen in quite a while. There appears to be no difference between cash back and comps, you can basically use the points however you'd like. While your card is in any machine, you can transfer funds to the machine in $5 increments. I had $35 in free play points so I divided them among several machines and got back about $18.95. I felt so bad for the cashier at the cage, because I handed her a stack of about 25 tickets - half of them were worth 15 cents each!

Right around midnight, I decided to go next door to Sam's Town. I basically stopped gambling here a few years back because this is the one official place I've never won a red cent. How depressing it was to reach the 5000 point limit on my 7 year old Club Coast account (that's probably about $15,000 of coin-thru over the years) only to get rewarded with a whopping $5 of free play! Oh well, I got an updated card...

That's about it! Although this was a losing trip, it was alot of fun and the best part was the stopoff in San Diego on the way back home to ride some big waves at Blacks!

Mammothgambler

stan_allen

PostPosted: Sep Wed 07, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Go to Vegas for the glitz; go to Reno to gamble! Reply with quote

Well, you gave it the college try! And the facilities look pretty swell.

Guess that'll learn ya; next time, gamble in Reno! Sure, we've probably got our share of meth & ice dealers near Cal-Neva and Sands...I can just see the form to fill out at the "Dealers" employment office: "What will you be dealing? Please select from: A) Cards B) Meth C) Ice

Thanks for the details; sorry it wasn't a winner, but that gives you a reason to go back and give it another shot!
Crapsjunkie

PostPosted: Sep Wed 07, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Cannery Eastside Reply with quote

We just returned form LV and spent the first 2 nights at the Eastside Cannery. Great rooms! Next time ask for a corner room on a high floor. Amazing night views of the Strip. Rms about $29 per night, mine were free. We lost our ass at the Cannery never could find a decent paying machine. We were disappointed because we were there when it first opened and people were wining everywhere. The Craps Table was $3 min. with 100 times odds. One evening one guy on that table had thousands playing Black Chips. Anyway now the table is $5 min with 20 times odds. I made a few bucks off the table but their machines crushed us. Compared to our first trip, the place was very slow. That should have been our clue!

Anyway thanks for your info.
Mammothgambler

PostPosted: Sep Wed 07, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no worries! Sorry you guys didn't have any luck. I did see a few people get hand-pays at the Eastside Cannery, but the machines do seem kind of random. Although on my last visit before this trip, I walked up to a Sizzling 7, played max, and got the top jackpot on the first try (it was a multi-denom, why in the hell was I playing only quarters?) so I guess anything can happen anywhere. I've also heard the North Vegas Cannery is very similar in addition to the Rampart, all under the same umbrella. Still better than Sam's Town! I keep forgetting about the once 100x odds over that way-I too noticed that everything seems to be back in the 20-something range, although I'm still learning craps, I have had a few successful runs just standing there playing the pass line. Maybe I should've gone that route to try to recoup? Next Reno trip will be next month when my parents arrive from North Carolina - they've never been to Reno, period - this should be fun!

Mammothgambler
LilyJDragonfly

PostPosted: Sep Thu 08, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehee... yeah, Vegas wasn't kind to The Dog and I during our summer visit either. We're still on the fence about going there in December.

Thanks for all the pictures and the juicy, yet brutal details!!

However, right now, I'm begging The Dog for a quick overnight in Reno... maybe this weekend!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: