Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More bowling touraments coming to Reno

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjames1229

PostPosted: Jul Tue 13, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: More bowling touraments coming to Reno Reply with quote

According to a United States Bowling Congress press release, Reno is going to be the center of the universe for the yearly Open and Women's Championships for awhile.

Here is the schedule for the next few years...

Open -
2010 - Reno (NBS, just completed)
2011 - Reno (NBS)
2012 - Baton Rouge, LA
2013 - Reno (NBS)
2014 - Reno (NBS)
2015 - TBD

Women -
2010 - El Paso, TX (just completed)
2011 - Syracuse, NY
2012 - Reno (NBS)
2013 - Reno (Reno-Sparks Convention Center)
2014 - Reno (Reno-Sparks Convention Center)
2015 - Reno (NBS)

Let's hope Harrah's keeps comping rooms for a few more years.
mjames1229

PostPosted: Mar Sat 05, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Invasion of the Bowlers has begun! The USBC Open Championships at the National Bowling Stadium had their opening ceremonies yesterday, and bowlers (and friends and family) are now arriving by the planeful.

And I will be there from Tuesday May 3 thru Thursday May 5.

I'm kinda giddy. I always peak a little too early, thinking that's going on now.
stan_allen

PostPosted: Mar Mon 07, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Barney's Bowl-o-rama Reply with quote

I've never looked inside that national bowling stadium - what I'm wondering is, is there a bar right there at the alleys, or is it *all business* when one makes it to this most exalted of bowling destinations?

S'pose I ought to peek in there, one of these days...it's a bit absurd to have been to downtown Reno so many time and prognosticated endlessly on its character without ever having even eyeballed the inside of the national bowling stadium....
mjames1229

PostPosted: Mar Mon 07, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon entering the front doors of the stadium, an escalator to the left takes you up the the fourth floor (where the lanes actually are). Similar to a sports stadium, there is a concourse which is separated by a significant part of the superstructure where the spectator seating is located. While on the concourse, you can hear pins falling, but not see them.

About 1/4 of the way down from the left side (Lane 1) is a concession stand. Overpriced beer and snacks are sold there. Also on this concurse is a permanent souviner stand (which also includes a full bowling lane for the resident pro to conduct lessons). Continuing on the concourse is a pro shop, another temporary souviner stand, the check-in/administration booth and lockers.

Although bowlers are allowed to drink beer and soda during competition, it can only be served by the waitress (to avoid delays and spills) and that one concession stand is the only place to actually buy a beer. It can get pretty crowded with spectators, as well as bowlers coming in for the next shift.

My long-winded point is that although beer is served and can be drank during bowling, most every bowler there mean business.

Personally, just for my nine games this year, I have already bought one bowling ball based on what the published oiling pattern is (oil is placed on the lanes and can make it easier or more difficult for the bowling ball to hook. At the USBC Open, it is intended to make it very difficult). We have some local bowling centers applying oil to the lanes in conformance to the published pattern, and after significant practice I may choose to buy yet another bowing ball.

Once I know which bowling balls to use, I need to ship them to Reno. I probably will be taking six bowling balls with me (the old saying is that I would hate to have the perfect ball for the condition sitting in my closet 1500 miles away). The ten bowlers on my two teams will load up their 4 or 6 bowling balls each on a pallet and ship it to the USF Roadway terminal in Sparks (it averages about $12 per ball to ship them).

Add the expense of air fare, car rental (hotel is comped, thank you Harrahs) gambling, tchotchkes and other miscellaneous expenses for my wife and I, and it explains the seriousness of the business.

The challenge of the tournament is to compare yourself to the best teams in all of bowling. Only 54 bowlers in the entire world are ineligble to compete (that being the top PBA players).

I'm not going to win; I am nowhere near good enough. But I am good enough that I feel it is worth the expense to compare myself to the best players. Last year in Reno, I won a little over $600... a profit over the cost of my entry fee, but its not going to cover the entire vacation.

I've never done it, but my goal is to make $1,500 for a tournament (my closest is winning about $1,200 in Baton Rogue in 2005). Every year I tell myself to practice a little more, prepare just a little more, focus a little more, and maybe I can get that $1,500 check. And even if I never get there, I can sleep well knowing I've done what I can.

The side benefit is a trip to Reno/Tahoe every couple of years!
stan_allen

PostPosted: Mar Tue 08, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Bowled Over Reply with quote

Thanks for the intro; now I've got a better idea of what that place does!

Good luck; it sounds as though you've done pretty extensive preparation, and we look forward to a winning trip report, in as many ways as you can accomplish!
LilyJDragonfly

PostPosted: Mar Wed 30, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought bowling was hip.... I've owned two pairs of bowling shoes and several balls over the years in the old-school campy bowling ball bags. That being said, I'm a terrible bowler. I'm lucky if I manage to bowl 75.... though on one incredible streak, I managed to bowl a turkey! The name alone should have inspired me to become a whipass bowler, but no. I remain an observer only....
mjames1229

PostPosted: Mar Wed 30, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bowl five weeks from today - May 4th @ 2:30, and also on May 5th at 9:20 AM. Come say HI!
mjames1229

PostPosted: Mar Thu 31, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time magazine article from 1995 on the opening of the National Bowling Stadium.

Some of the information is a little dated, natch, but 16 years later, I still get excited.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: