Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trip Report Sept 8-11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrincessaMyron

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Trip Report Sept 8-11 Reply with quote

Greetings -

Here's my short (but sweet) trip report - hubby Ross flew out on 8/29 and attended Burning Man w/the guys. I met them on 9/8 and we returned together on 9/11.

When I checked in at DFW with American Airlines, I used the kiosk inside (as opposed to the sky cap I usually use) and they offered an upgrade to First Class for $135...HECK YEAH! Swipe the credit card and 3F was mine. Breakfast was an omelet (cheese), potatoes with mushrooms, fresh fruit and a biscuit or bagel - rather tasty for airline food. I had 3 Bailey's with coffee and when I ordered the 4th (because I wouldn't be driving of course), she had to use one from the next flight because they only cater a few each leg!

Arrived in Reno and met Ross in the terminal - It was great seeing him again after 10 days - we've only been married just over a year so it's still the honeymoon phase!

Took the shuttle to the El Dorado (where he had a room from the prior night) and checked out Room 2402 - 2nd to the end and it was one step up from the basic room we booked, so that was fine. Last stay, they comped an upgrade to a suite, but this weekend was the Balloon Festival and a big golf tourney, so no suites available!

We're mostly VP players and the only VP bar we could find that offered JOB (for Ross) and Deuces Wild (for me) is Drinx, at the Silver Legacy. We play the $0.25 level, max coins. We had taken $1200 in cash for the two of us, which is alot less than we normally have, so we were trying to be frugal!

On Thursday evening, we closed the bar (Drinx) around 11pm - right before, I had plugged $40 into 'my' DW machine - hit a few 5 of a kind (75 quarters), a few Royal Flush w/Deuces (125 quarters) and then BAM - FOUR DEUCES for 1000 quarters! WOOHOO my $40 became $375 when I cashed out and we went up to bed! We did order room service and they had an EXCELLENT Reuben sandwich! Had the pot-stickers and they were mediocre - I think they lost their 'crisp' in transit. Otherwise, service was speedy (order to delivery time about 20 mins) and the presentation was fine! Coffee (a pot) was $8 but I had run out of the free coffee in the room already, so we sprung for it!

Next day, we had martini's at Roxi's (during happy hour, they are ALL $5) and I had some chocolate thing w/cinnamon in it - really made a great drink! Ross had something chocolaty too but mine was better, so look for the cinnamon!

We had comp tickets to Le Cirque for 7p, so we wanted to grab a quick drink and a bite before the show. Went to Drinx to discuss dinner and Ross sat at 'my' machine - it showed my payout from the previous night, so we knew it was the same one!

Soooooooo in goes $100 (he likes to put in $100 at a time, and I do little $20-$40 repeatedly) and on his SECOND hand, he gets a freaking ROYAL FLUSH! WOohoo, 1000 quarters, I squealed - this is GREAT! He said 'um, honey, that's $1000 DOLLARS' ohmygosh! Got his hand-pay (no W2G thank goodness) and he reported directly to the room to put it in the safe! Overall, we came home with $1400 in cash, so this was our first trip where we preserved the budget AND had extra $$ to bring back!

Ross wanted a bite at Fairchild's Oyster Bar (in the Silver Legacy), so we just sat at the bar. Good service, and he had 1 dozen oysters with THE hottest horseradish on the planet. The bread was hot and fresh and the butter was soft and yummy, so that's all I had. Ross had the Crab Cocktail, which he said was good too. He had a Blood Mary and I had Bailey's and Coffee, and our bill was probably about $50. We tried to order something 'to go' later in the trip and were told (in a very snobby tone) that 'we don't do to-go orders'. I threatened to sit down, order, take one bite and ask for a box, but Ross talked me out of it!

Went to the show at 7p, got 2 drinks (way overpriced) from the bar outside, and had 3rd row seats. The show was just 1 1/2 hours of acrobatics - some good, some average. Not near as tight as you'd find in Vegas, but heck, it was free. Nothing special and I wouldn't go again, even if it were free!

Had the Awful-Awful after a long night of drinking and couldn't eat but a few bites!

We had every intention of leaving for the airport early to go to In N Out burger to bring some to our friends here, but I wasn't able to function well enough to do that! We were so sluggish the last day, we forgot to see if they could adjust our bill for comps/play related stuff - next time I guess.

Took the shuttle back from the El Do to the airport, and had Kathleen who was a really neat lady - funny, relaxed and really made leaving not so bad!

Got to the airport for a 245pm flight on Saturday and it was pretty empty - no line for security and the flight left on time. Got a Panini sandwich from one of the stands near the gate and it was ok but the bread was too chewy and it was almost $9.00 just for the freaking sandwich!

All in all, we had a great trip and hope to return in December before Christmas, but we're not sure if they offer alot of freebies/upgrades since they're hurting for business, or not- if you know, please let me know!

We did take a few pictures, but I have no idea how to post them in here, so I guess we'll just imagine you liked them!

Hope everyone is still awake after reading this!

lauren in TX
remano

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very entertaining TR, thanks for posting, and congrats on your VP wins.

I've never been to burning man so I can't comment on the event itself, but it's easy to pick out the burners passing through Reno after Labor Day. Every car is coated with about 1/2 inch of desert dust.
LilyJDragonfly

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickin' trip report; thanks for posting!!! And congrats on the win.... every time we went this summer, we came home only with a few nickels!
alison

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your report. Enjoyed reading it.
stan_allen

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Rockin'! Reply with quote

Good stuff; thanks for sharing! We all like to hear of those wins, though we'll take loss-reports, too....
CaSwede

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You let your husband go to Burning Man without you? I think your marriage is going to last. Very Happy

Winning trips are a lot more fun than losing. Thanks for the report.
alison

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaSwede wrote:
You let your husband go to Burning Man without you? I think your marriage is going to last. Very Happy

Winning trips are a lot more fun than losing. Thanks for the report.

I would let me husband do that on his own if he chose. He lets me go to reno every year, without him. Smile Granted Burning man is a little more outta control. lol
PrincessaMyron

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Burning man and the married guy Reply with quote

Haha good point about men solo at Burning Man! This was his 5th year and I went last year and the year before!

To me, 'camping' is staying at a Holiday Inn without a Holidome (for those who are old enough to remember those) so sitting in the desert in the dust for a week isn't EXACTLY my cuppa tea! It's great for shutting out the real world and people watching and I will probably go every few years as now he's an official Black Rock Ranger, but it's not my dream vacation!

We've only been married just over a year, so I"m glad the group think we'll last - we surely do!

Thanks for reading - lauren
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: I love camping Reply with quote

I love camping........at the Eldorado, Silver Legacy, Peppermill, etc. Thanks for the entertaining trip report PrincessaMyron. Glad to hear you had some luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: