Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LowRolla's TR - Repost from March 05 (was archive # 51)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hawk

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: LowRolla's TR - Repost from March 05 (was archive # 51) Reply with quote

The Reno Hilton, 1st weekend in March

Well, being a low rolla, it's not too often that I see an offer for a comped room come in the mail. So, when I got an offer for 2 free nights at the Reno Hilton, I got a little giddy up in my step. My wife now sarcastically refers to me as a "high rolla", but believe me, it's tongue in cheek.

So, anyway, we headed to the Reno Hilton for 2 free nights. (We had been there once before last summer and the hotel was really crowded. There was a baseball tournament going on and all the teams were staying at the hotel. We had to wait about 10 to 15 minutes every time we wanted to use the elevator, so we were not happy.) After staying there last summer, we did not have high expectations. We wound up being pleasantly surprised the entire weekend. First, we didn't have to wait for an elevator the entire weekend. Second, the hallway we were on and the room we stayed in appeared to have been freshly remodeled. New furniture, new carpets, fresh paint, etc. It was very nice. The room was a lot nicer than the one I stayed at in the Eldorado (see trip #1).

I know the Reno Hilton is far from downtown, but it really has everything you want within the hotel. It has a Chevy's, a Johnny Rockets, a Round Table pizza, the buffet, their own restaurants (steak place, coffee shop, Chinese restaurant), driving range, pool hall with golf simulator (you can play virtual Pebble Beach), arcade for the kids, and I think there was even a bowling alley. Also, I think there is miniature golf and amusement rides in the parking lot once it warms up.

Anyway, enough of the sales pitch for the Reno Hilton. (Att: Reno Hilton: please send all commission checks and donations to LowRolla at visitreno.com...thanks) So, the wife and I ate once at Chevy's, once at Johnny Rockets, and once at the buffet (using a 2 for 1 coupon they sent). All were very good. The buffet was just as good as the one at the Eldorado. I'm tempted to say it was better, but...I'll stick with equally as good as the Eldorado. Both are worth the money in my opinion.

The cool thing about Johnny Rockets (for all you men out there) is that it's right next to the sports book. The Reno Hilton has a really big and nice sports book. If you choose your seat wisely, you can have a view of all the big screen tv's while you eat. Just be careful to glance occasionally at the tv's and not stare at them constantly or your wife might get a little upset with you.

The Reno Hilton has a promotion called the Cavalcade of Cash and Prizes. Once a day, you can swipe your player's card and possibly win free stuff. Just about every time, I've won at least a little something. Last summer, I won 2 free concert tickets. This time, wasn't quite as lucky, but I still won free entry into a slot tournament, a free $1 roulette bet, and a $1 free comp toward any restaurant. Then, they also have a cash drawing a few times each week.

The Eldorado has a similar promotion called Treasures of the Eldorado. Treasures lets you swipe your card every two hours to win stuff. I didn't have as much luck with this promotion. I think I won a free pen and 15% off a gift shop purchase.

Okay, lastly on the Reno Hilton, their comps seem to be pretty good. Throughout your stay, you can redeem cash back and/or comp offers through one of their self redemption kiosks. Even for a low rolla, I wind up getting $5 or $10 in cash back or comps every couple of days. Also, their player's club card can be used at Ceasars, Ballys, Paris, and the Flamingo in Vegas.

As for gambling, I played blackjack mostly. Their lowest table minimum was $5 which is a little rich for my blood, but it was a good game (double any 2 cards, double after the split), so I got sucked in. I was down about $200, but fought back and barely escaped back to even. For a while, I thought I was going to pay for my free room and then some. Fortunately, not this time though.

Until next time...

-LowRolla
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: