Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

400 miles of bad road for LadyHawk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hawk

PostPosted: Jan Sat 07, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: 400 miles of bad road for LadyHawk Reply with quote

The things a devoted husband does to prove that, "once in a coon's age", a man is not ALWAYS wrong.
As we are standing in our room watching the water roiling over the Lake Street Bridge, LadyHawk keeps insisting that we can indeed get home today. I try explaining that some passes are closed completely and several others have the chain law in effect. We do not even have snow tires.
Dutifully I begin the drive NW. We get 85 miles with no problem. Within the next 5 miles we begin to encounter light snow falling. Then very shortly complete whiteout as the snow blows over the unprotected reservoirs. At one time, the only line I could see on the road was a yellow center line at least a quarter mile or more down the road (fortunately it was a straight stretch of road). Other times the only way to know I was anywhere close to being on the road was by staying appx midway between the 10 foot tall posts used to aid the snowplows in staying on the road.

To this point, I had not seen any evidence of a snowplow. On the way to Reno a few days earlier, on totally dry pavement, I constantly passed snowplows running with their blades up. I guess today was "donut day" at the local coffee shop.

After two rest stops where I suggested that it was time to give up and return to Reno, we continued on at the suggestion of LadyHawk. After 90 miles of snow, ice, vicious winds, white-outs, etc., we saw our first snowplow. He was stopped to adjust the chain law sign to a more restrictive chain law restriction. He informed me that I was going no further.
At this point, LadyHawk agreed that I could turn around. At this point, we were closer to home than to Reno. However, I knew from Internet and phone calls that at least three passes yet ahead of us were closed.

The return trip to Reno, another 180 miles was a lot more difficult. The snow was really piling up. I knew if we left the road, we were dead as those partly frozen reservoirs staring at us were very unforgiving.

Fortunately, I had the foresight to keep my room, key, and drink badges from Reno without having checked out. (I knew we would be back). Arriving safely back in Reno about 8 hours after I left, I handed a car key to valet, informed him that I would be back for my bags after a drink or two, and not to move my car. Thru the door, I took a quick left to the nearest bar, ordered two double Stingers with the best brandy. After a refill, I grabbed my bags, returned to my room, and patted myself on the back for being a caring husband. Then I had some more fun. (and a lot more drinks).

Nothing like starting a TR in the middle. More later.
Dave

PostPosted: Jan Sun 08, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Hawk you are hilarious! The things a guy has to do sometimes. Glad to hear you kept your room key and drink badge. You have your priorities straight! Look forward to hearing the beginning and the end!
Dave
JD

PostPosted: Jan Sun 08, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Driving in Winter Reply with quote

Hey Hawk, I haven't taked to you since we had a beer with that Yeti.

Even with the hassles of winter driving, I'd STILL rather drive than fly. AT least you had the option of turning around and returning to Reno. Of course you COULD always use some of your winnings to buy some snow tires or maybe even an AWD car (like a Santa Fe for example) next time you hit your royal on a $ 5 VP machine.

For future reference, there is a business center in some hotels (like Siena) that allows guest to use their computers for free. I prefer LOOKING at the traffic cams instead of the "road reports" on the reader boards near valet parking.

Here are all traffic cams in Oregon: http://167.131.0.179/Pages/RCmap.asp?curRegion=0&mainNav=RoadConditions

And here are the N. California ones: http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist2/cctv/traffic_cams.shtml

Smart thinking that not turning in your key. So it sounds like you turned around near Alturas? Or do you go thru Shasta?

(Next trip 4th of July in VC)
hawk

PostPosted: Jan Mon 09, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: turnaround Reply with quote

I turned around a few miles short of Dead Horse Pass on 89 about 40 miles before Mt Shasta city. On a clear day, it is the spot where one can first see Mt. Shasta from that direction. That I noticed on the clear day I returned home.

Nothing is too good for LadyHawk. I love her and am lucky to have her.
(Probably no one else would have me)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: