Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obligations, my - my...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerry

PostPosted: Jun Wed 30, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Obligations, my - my... Reply with quote

OK, I sneaked into Reno and will share a bit out of loyalty to the board. Besides, our moderator threatened to sink his talons into me if I didn't release a bit of a TR.
First, I slept alone. You-know-who never showed up... Wink

The Bad: The Atlantis cut me off from my favorite wine because I do not have a Platinum card. Heck, I was elated that I just finally achieved a Gold Elite and felt prideful -- then I fell..

The Good: 4 Aces on opening night kept me ahead for a few days. Then on my third day, I hit a Royal at the Eldo. First Royal in two years (after many, many heavy losses chasing it). Last Royal was also at the Eldo. But except for the Royal, I did not get anything at all at the Eldo which is about par for the place. The only place I do worse is at the Pep.

I have been doing OK most of the time at the Atlantis. This trip it didn't seem quite so smoky. Maybe it was because the hotel was overfilled with girls from 12-16 for the Junior Volleyball Olympics.
I did not know that our nation had so many long-legged young girls. Some teams looked like they cut from a "mold" or a "cookie-cutter".
There are some really tall young teens out there. And a few, but not many, beefy ones on the teams.

More bad: I think CaSwede's toothless friend from the Sands was at the Eldo one night. I ran quickly away after she began her spiel.
But the good: I laughed at this later. I had a very nice chat with a volleyball mother in a wheel chair from Iowa. While we were talking innocently, she asked me (and I swear this is a direct quote): "Do you come here often?" I replied honestly and never thought a thing about the question, which was an honest question. But later I thought about it and had a good laugh.

This was the busiest I have seen Reno in years. There were thousands there for the volleyball.
At the same time, the Reno Rodeo was taking place.
AND, the Eldo's Blues and Brews festival was really hopping. I would have enjoyed more time for that. Maybe next year if someone sends me a free room offer.

And, the Atlantis upgraded my room. Had a kitchen with a very nice bar. It took me two days to remember where I left some food. Realized that I had not cleaned out my frig in the Atlantis room before departing. That food would taste pretty good right now.

I tried the NY Deli at Atlantis. Had a pretty good grilled cheese sandwich but the potato knish sucked big-time. I have had knishes in NY and loved them. This was not even a reasonable facsimile. I was disappointed as I would have given them a lot of future business if the knishes were respectable.

For now, that's it. Now, Hawk, get off of my back.

Just had a note from Ca Swede inviting me to Laughlin for my birthday (and for his) but the dates don't work. Anyhoo, Swede enjoy the trip and the beers you are drinking for me.
LilyJDragonfly

PostPosted: Jul Thu 01, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of us appreciate your efforts at posting, Jerry! <grin>

We still haven't even been off Virgina Street for gambling, but I swear sometime in the next two days, we will go to Peppermill and maybe even Atlantis....
remano

PostPosted: Jul Thu 01, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the TR. An interesting read.

I know what you mean about the volleyball tournament. Something like 9,000 participants, plus their friends and family. I think the organizers are claiming to bring about 20,000 visitors in all, which makes for a busy week.

Eldo's Blues & Brews Fest is also a fun event. I seem to recall it used to run through Sunday with two stages. Now it wraps up early Saturday evening and there's only one stage. Still, you can only listen to one band at a time anyway, there was lots of other stuff to see and it was free, so I'm not complaining.
stan_allen

PostPosted: Jul Thu 01, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: You shall see the volley of your ways... Reply with quote

Thanks for giving up the goods, Jerry - you're off the hook, at least for a little while!

Glad to hear you at least saw *some* decent hands in play - and I ain't talkin' about lady no-teeth!
CaSwede

PostPosted: Jul Thu 01, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the royal. I hope you brought most of it home. Sooo- the toothless lady thought you were hot (or your wallet)? And now the wheelchair lady. Too bad you forgot your dinner in the refrigerator. I remember one time in Las Vegas I found someone had left a 12 pack of premium beer in the Refrigerator..... score. Much better than the half eaten hot dog you left.

Yes, heading to Laughlin soon. I think it is suppose to be hot this time of the year? Happy birthday to both of us.

Last edited by CaSwede on Jul Thu 01, 2010 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
jerry

PostPosted: Jul Thu 01, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Now seeing: Reply with quote

Now seeing the "volley of my vays". thanks, Stan.

Also twice enjoyed the Atlantis buffet. I like Eldo but this may be just a shade better. The desserts are a bit better as everything at Eldo looks better than it tastes in the dessert line. Ambience is better too. I could never see why Eldo wasted the time changing their buffet. It was partially closed for a long time. When it opened up, I could see NO improvements.

The tier points really accumulate slowly at Atlantis.
Fortunately my offer included 500 free tier points.
And the room was great. I'd take that room anytime. Only better room I've had in Reno is at Tuscany-Pep.

Thanks to all for reading and commenting.

And for you sports fans: In this a.m. game, I threw out 5 guys at first base (one who was VERY fast), one guy at 2d base, caught a pop-up: all in 6 innings of defense at third base. Only had two hits though.
alison

PostPosted: Jul Tue 06, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Jerry.... I could not sneak away this time.... Wink
stoneman

PostPosted: Jul Mon 12, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Hey, omniscient one!! Reply with quote

John, does that lucky Jerry really have something going on with "you know who"?? Twisted Evil
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul Mon 12, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Who you calling "obnoxious"? Reply with quote

Well, Stony, I haven't personally witnessed any hanky panky, but after seeing that babe magnet in action, nothing would surprise me. I guess the surprise would be that he can find time for her in his busy schedule.
hawk

PostPosted: Jul Mon 19, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: wwelll, I think: Reply with quote

I always like a TR.
Jerry, they likely needed to cut you off of the good wine. Very Happy

And, with your new Gold Elite Status, how do you like the special parking pass which allows you to park in one of EIGHT reserved places ON THE OTHER SIDE OF VIRGINIA STREET??? Wow, you have really impressed them and moved into the "big time" with your friend John. Razz

Just cock-a-too-real!!!
stoneman

PostPosted: Jul Sat 24, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: we can handle one more Reply with quote

Like Hawk, I always enjoy a good TR.
Has no one been to Reno since Jerry reported in June?

Maybe Swede will honor us with a few tidbits since he said in another thread that he was in Reno today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: