Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Marketing Slogan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
remano

PostPosted: Nov Thu 19, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: New Marketing Slogan Reply with quote

After spending tens of thousands of dollars on research the RSCVA has finally decided upon it's new slogan:

RENO TAHOE USA -- FAR FROM EXPECTED

To be fair, they say the money went for much more than just coming up with the slogan, and the new one sure beats their first effort, "A little west of center." RSCVA says it's not intended to diminish Reno's time-tested "Biggest little city" title, but they needed something else because they're marketing everything from Pyramid Lake to Tahoe, not just Reno.

I guess brand recognition has its place, but I don't think I've ever decided where to spend my vacation based on a slogan. Maybe it helps when there's already a distinct attraction (bowling tournament or convention, for example) and someone on the fence is deciding whether or not to attend. What do you think?
Shooty

PostPosted: Nov Thu 19, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's really knee-jerk to reflexively bash marketing slogans. My STRONG inclination is to give slogans the benefit of the doubt.

Having said that, this slogan's awful. It says nothing about the area. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the company that finally sold it to RSCVA first tried to sell it to Gillette WY, Branson MO, Lower Volta, and the island in Lost.

At a minimum, a slogan should bear some relationship to the location it promotes. All this one does is emphasize how hard it is for most travelers to get to Reno/Tahoe. "Far" indeed.

Terrible.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov Thu 19, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: How messed up is that? Reply with quote

Not a good slogan. Most people come to Reno expecting to have a good time. Why not "MORE THAN EXPECTED"?

Last edited by john on Nov Sat 21, 2009 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
CaSwede

PostPosted: Nov Fri 20, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Than Expected---- Very good John and give yourself a $10K bonus for improving the slogan.

Your right: I was expecting to come to Reno to have a good time, a nice meal, win some money and have a nice room. Whoops- They say don't come because my trip will be- Far From Expected.

The Reno Arch slogan is good enough.
stan_allen

PostPosted: Nov Fri 20, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: I expected better, frankly Reply with quote

Ah, if only I'd known - so many suggestions, and without the city having to spend a penny.

Reno Tahoe USA - short from sentence
Reno - Light-Years from expected
Reno - expectations be damned
Reno - abandon all hope, ye with expectations
Reno for pirates - Fahhhrrrrr from expected
Reno for former bodybuilders - far from ex-pec-ted
Reno for a former bodybuilder named Ted - far from ex-pec-ted
Rural Reno - farmers from expected

I sure hope there isn't a city in the USA called "Expected", or if there is, that it's sufficiently far away from Reno such that their slogan can be "Expected: Far from Reno"
evandors

PostPosted: Nov Fri 20, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it... Reno - It used to be really fun here !!!
jerry

PostPosted: Nov Fri 20, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Don't spit on the new slogan Reply with quote

I think they meant "FAR FROM EXPECTORATIONS".

I believe that means it's pretty good.
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov Sat 21, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Slogans Shogams Reply with quote

In British Columbia the slogan is," The Best Place on Earth." And while it is nice here, I find it completely embarrassing. It sounds conceited. We used to have a decent one..."Super Natural British Columbia" which emphasized the beauty of B.C.'s outdoors.

Anyway enough about B.C. There is (or was) a group promoting Reno, Tahoe, Carson City, Pyramid Lake etc. and their motto is "We Love This Place!" That's a better motto/slogan isn't it? Perhaps not to descriptive but nice. A link to their site... http://www.welovethisplace.org/home/

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think the RSCVA is a taxpayer funded organization. Their spending thousands on a slogan, good or bad, is an awful waste of our money. Hey when I'm in Nevada I pay room, gas, sales taxes and probably more. So I'm think I can get crabby about this too.
JD

PostPosted: Nov Sun 22, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: They shoulda asked US Reply with quote

"Reno", not as exiting as Rio
Not as boring as Keno

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keno,_Oregon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: