Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ok, you Visitreno.com folks.....your advice welcomed!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zydeco

PostPosted: Sep Wed 03, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Ok, you Visitreno.com folks.....your advice welcomed! Reply with quote

I must admit that I have checked in on this website weekly for some time. It's time to take a dip in the pool.

I am a longtime Reno fan, visiting twice per year since 1992, usually with a group of swell gal pals. As we've grown more mature (read: older, tired and jaded), our plans have changed over the years. No more $0.99 steak & eggs with unsavory men at 4am after 12-14 Long Island Ice Teas, you get the idea. Our usual trip now involves a spa visit, Roxy's for cocktails, dinner at Harrah's Steakhouse, and a trip to Tahoe. What the hell happened to us?! Do I even bother to put on mascara anymore?!

Anyhoos, the impending trip in October is going to be a tad different. I am hitting a few unknowns and would like your opinion(s):

1. Anyone visit Soak Salon for a pedicure and cocktails?

2. How about Amelia's out by the airport for some dining with a hell of a view of the RNO tarmack?

3. What's the difference beween the Eldorado's Standard and Deluxe rooms and is it worth the $30 extra for 3 nights?

4. Louie's Corner? Worth all the hoopla? I'm dining there on 10/15 and looking forward to the experience.

5. Chocolate Bar all it's cracked up to be?

6. Any specials at the Peppermill's Fireside Lounge? Gawd, I LOVE that place.

7. Anyone seen the Greg London show at Harrah's?

8. Anyone spending any time at the Sienna? Cocktail service last visit was terrific and the low limits were my speed.

9. Anyone check out the Eldo's new $5M buffet? That's a hell of a lot of shrimp....

Thanks to you all, enjoy reading your stuff!
stan_allen

PostPosted: Sep Wed 03, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Conde Nast has nothin' on us.... Reply with quote

Good for you for doing your homework! As one of the lowest-rollers on the board, I can answer almost none of your inquiries, save for some general impressions:

-The best "Special" at the Peppermill fireside is clearly when John, Jerry, and other visitreno.com glitterati are there - I've not even had the pleasure of enjoying such an event, but they are legendary in these parts.

-For thirty bucks across three nights, even a cheapskate such as I would recommend the upgrade - it's the kind of thing you're glad to have, once you have it.

As for your other inquiries, I guess you'll have to do some first-hand research and report your findings back to us - enjoy!

-Stan
mommy2boys

PostPosted: Sep Wed 03, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to answer some of your questions (mostly about the ED because that is were we almost always stay)

3. What's the difference beween the Eldorado's Standard and Deluxe rooms and is it worth the $30 extra for 3 nights?

The difference is the standard room is much smaller and in the old towers. The deluxe rooms are a little bigger and are in all the towers (you will have a much better view if you are in the main tower because you can be much higher up). If you want to see pictures and explantions of their rooms at the ED go to their website (www.eldoradoreno.com) click on rooms and suites and it will show you each one of their rooms w/ pictures. I would totally upgrade the room and if you can swing it try one of their spa suites (you won't be disappointed)

5. Chocolate Bar all it's cracked up to be?

THERE IS A CHOCOLATE BAR IN RENO, and this is the first that I'm hearing about it. Where is it, I MUST TRY IT!!!! (Can't you tell I LOVE anything chocolate)

8. Anyone spending any time at the Sienna? Cocktail service last visit was terrific and the low limits were my speed.

Last time we were there (a couple of months ago) I did ok on the pennies, while my hubby didn't do so well on the dollars. We had pretty good cocktail service as well.

9. Anyone check out the Eldo's new $5M buffet? That's a hell of a lot of shrimp....

I haven't but, my friend said that it was really good. We tend not to eat a buffets because my hubby says that it is a rip off for me to go (I tend not to eat much at one sitting and I will usually only eat salads... stilll trying to lose baby weight after 5 yrs)

Have fun!!! We are going up to Reno in Oct. also.

Can't wait!!!
Erin
JD

PostPosted: Sep Wed 03, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: JADED Reno trip? Reply with quote

Jerry wants to know if a pedicure is some new kinda microbrew.

I'm guessing it's IGA's newest multi play slot machine.

There is a fancy lookin spa at the Siena, but I haven't been invited back since I used my Spa comp on a gym bag.

And if you're talkin about Louie's Basque Corner...it's a crapshoot. You may share a table with a wonderful old rural couple or a NYC lawyer. Order the paella if it's available that night. Start with a Picon Punch.

http://menuinprogress.com/2007/09/road-trip-basque-dining-in-reno.html

Edited to add: Oh, and unless you're really adventerous, avoid the sweetbreads. They are neither sweet, nor bread.

Last edited by JD on Sep Thu 04, 2008 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total
jerry

PostPosted: Sep Wed 03, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: A HEARTY WELCOME TO THE NEWBIE Reply with quote

Glad you posted. Ah, some fresh meat and ideas. I like it. Thanks for taking the time.
Now, with tongue firmly in cheek (mostly), I'll take a response shot.

1. I am allergic to, and have no pets. Thus no need to take them in for a pedicure.

2. Amelia. Last time I saw her, she was walking on 4th st.

3. Definitely go for the Deluxw. well worth it.

5. Another choc lover here but I never heard of such a place.
Tell us more. I am drooling on my keyboard.
Last choc martini at Fireside, the "tender charged me 5 bucks even tho I was playing at the bar.

6. You'll LOVE IT EVEN MORE if you show on Tuesday nite monthly when John and I are "doing our thing". Just don't interrupt us if we are fighting over Ali.

8. Last visit, I pumped 12K in two days thru the Siena machines and they dropped me from their VIP list. So I won't go back unless they beg me.
Drink selection sucks and they strongly appeal to street people. The old crowd is all gone. Now just scuzzy locals.
Waitresses complain about lack of tips -- they now tell repeatedly their customers: Sir (or mam), you have to play at least ten cents to get a free drink. What does that tell you?

9.Yes, just had the Eldo buffet. Food was good but my wife does not wish to return. We waited nearly an hour in line. They AGAIN closed down HALF of the space so it is much too small for their demand.
Not worth the wait.

Additionally, neither of us like the new decor. We think it was much better a year or two ago before they cut it in half and started the remodeling.

Again, welcome and enjoy the board. It's all in fun and very informative most of the time. Exception is that you may need an interpreter when Stan writes in that strange foreign manner of his.
tatterdema

PostPosted: Sep Thu 04, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#5) The food doesnt appeal to me, but I will be sure to stop by for the desserts and drinks!
www.thechocbar.com
stan_allen

PostPosted: Sep Thu 04, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Coy, meet Cloy... Reply with quote

Of course, the most valuable advice is to ignore Jerry's vituperative indulgences; encomiums, they are clearly not! But he is no less an authority on the Siena than Jimmy Breslin is on his stuff.

(Sorry, it's a game we play around here, when we can't be in Reno!)

Whatever your dialect, Reno clearly has the cure - but for goodness' sakes, get that upgrade! I've stayed in the non-upgrade Eldo rooms, and you might as well be at a fleabag motel.
jerry

PostPosted: Sep Thu 04, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: I think he just proved my point. Reply with quote

"Exception is that you may need an interpreter when Stan writes in that strange foreign manner of his."
Zydeco

PostPosted: Sep Fri 05, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all CRACK me up......!

Stan: You can expect a trip report! I too, am a low roller. My gal pals tend to hit the Cal-Neva as a gift to me, gawd love 'em! $0.25 roulette at 4am? Oh yea.

mommy2boys: Yes, visit the Chocolate Bar. As a friend pointed out to me last night, we DID visit in December. It was tasty drinking, but the food was blah. I hear the new location is make a huge difference!

JD: Thanks for that link to Louies. On a Wednesday, the selections are not as interesting and no paella. Bummer.

Jerry: Yea, I've read a couple of articles about the downturn of the Sienna. I sure liked it for a period. But I'm a low-rolling, bring me drinks, I'm playing 21 in a weird manner kind of gambler and Sienna fit me. I can not believe I will miss a Tuesday fight.

Be warned more questions coming, especially as the departure date approaches and work becomes boring......
Zydeco

PostPosted: Sep Sun 07, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in checking out the Louis' Corner blog, I see that my entree choices for a Wednesday are roast pork loin, shrimp, top sirloin and lamb chops (Bummer, I really wanted the rabbit or paella!).

Any suggestions?
JD

PostPosted: Sep Sun 07, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Basque cookin Reply with quote

If there's no chance on the paella, then I'd have to opt for what early Nevada Basque sheepherders were most famous for. And that wasn't pork, beef or shrimp.

Don't forget the Picon punch!

And you do know you'll be seated with other parties at a long picnic table? This can be the high (or low) light of the visit. If you see an old man in a black beret, SIT WITH HIM, buy him a drink and get ready for a story.
Zydeco

PostPosted: Sep Sun 07, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi or low light? Well, it is gambling isn't it?

Beret? I'm giong to HOPE for it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: