Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Peppermill Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mammothgambler

PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Another Peppermill Question Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

OK I have another Peppermill question, does anybody know if there is a grocery store and liquor store within walking distance? What about fast food places?

I finalized everything and got the hookup there for January, 3 nights in an Imperial Suite, 3 lift tickets, and free transportation to the resorts for a real cheap price. Now, I am thinking of returning my rental SUV a few days early to save some $$ since transportation to the resorts and airport will be covered.

Been checking the menus at the Peppermill restaurants and everything looks pretty good, but high dollar, just give me a McDonald's, Jack In The Box or Del Taco and I'm good for days so if there's one within walking distance that would be cool.
garyandsharon

PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There is a liquor store across from the Peppermill. Also, a groceries between the Pep and Atlantis (1/2 mile)

Food can be relatively cheap at the Pep. The coffee shop http://www.peppermillreno.com/dining/coffee_shop/ Select comfort food menu. $5.95 ($4.95 if you are 55+. Portions are huge. The food court has reasonable prices too. If you are, be sure to get a 55+ players card. Island Buffet during the week, Breakfast and lunch is 25% off with the 55+ card or 2 for 1. Have fun! I'm ready to go again.

Sharon
alison

PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go outside the door by Oceano, you will see the liquor store right across the street. very close to the Pep.

Ali
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The liquor store across the street from the Peppermill (Friends Liquor) went out of business a couple months ago.

The grocery store between the Pep and Atlantis (Smith's) closed over a year ago.

There's a Wendy's, Arby's and 7-11 on Gentry and Virginia, less than 1/2 mile south. The nearest grocery store is Albertson's. Go north on Virginia and turn left on Plumb. One block from there. If you're willing to walk that far, turn right on Plumb and go one block to McDonald's. Or you could walk to my house in 8 minutes, and I'll feed you and give you beer, when I have it.
Mammothgambler

PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Hey thanks everybody. Shame about those places closing down (the liquor store almost sounded like it was on the premises!), but it sounds like there's enough stuff around without needing wheels. John, we'll definitely have to meet up this time. I'm sure I'll be able to find a bottle somewhere along the way and beer is good too, the first 500 rounds are on me. And who knows, I might not leave. If nobody in Tahoe can comp me the following week I'm thinking about staying and re-booking the same package I just got but maybe in a tower room. With this package the lift tickets are almost free and the rooms, whatever type, are heavily discounted in comparison to buying everything separately. I won't know until next month, because that's when all the January comps come here.

I never thought about it because I was only at the Pep that one time, but I guess it's really close to the Atlantis from what I see here? That's good to know, as I haven't been there yet. Would you all say that's walkable too?
garyandsharon

PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John for the correction on the liquor and grocery store. What does this tourist who spends 90.5 hours gambling know about the outside world?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyandsharon wrote:
Thanks John for the correction on the liquor and grocery store. What does this tourist who spends 90.5 hours gambling know about the outside world?
Trust me...your time is better spent gambling. AND - it's FUNNER!
JD

PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Peppermill check in Reply with quote

I doubt if you need me to remind you, Florida Gambler....but even with a fully pre paid or comped room, on check in the desk clerk will say, " I need a credit or debit card for 'incidentals".

Unless you want several hundred dollars from your checking account put on "hold" never use a debit card.

My response is always, " I will not be making ANY outgoing calls, fix the phone to take incoming calls only. And you can block any pay TV channels please. Here's a $ 100 bill if you don't trust me and need a deposit, but I will not be making any charges to the room. I can pick up the deposit on checkout, right?" DO NOT LOOSE THE $ 100 RECEIPT!

The Atlantis is only a short walk and they have a sky bridge over Virginia Street that has slots and VP machines with a view of the East side of the Tahoe ski slopes.

Have fun and do another trip report for us. Good luck.

JD
CaSwede

PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you got some good information already. There is a fast food place- el pollo loco located about a big block north on the same side of the street out of the Oceano doors. If you have never tried it, it is pretty good "Mexican" style fast food chicken.

If you really want to eat cheap, you can do what I have done a few times. They have a happy hour free appetizers served at the fireside lounge and the fish bar in the late afternoon. I play some VP, so I get a free beer and appetizer. I then move on to the fish bar for a second helping. To me, that is dinner. Very Happy

Also, I was there on a Monday night a couple of weeks ago, and they were serving $1 hot dogs and slices of pizza at the food court. I guess it was for Monday Night football.

Do I sound cheap? Laughing
Mammothgambler

PostPosted: Nov Sun 12, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks again everyone.

JD, good to see you and yes, thanks for the friendly reminder. Hey at least the Peppermill seems honest...all over their website is written that there's a $50 incidental charge per night, and also that holds can take up to 14 days to release. Just like ole' Harrahs, only they TELL you about it . That's what I like. They just spell it out from the get-go. But to prevent any future mishaps, I made a commitment last year to avoid using debit cards period! I picked up one of those prepaid deals if somebody must have a Visa number (what they don't know is, their won't be any money on it). And that's when I'll say, "Uh, there's a problem with my card and I only have cash." It's worked like a charm every time since then.

CaSwede, thanks for the info, El Pollo is one of my favorites on the West-Coast list and I am cheap like that too, I pull the appetizer and bar tricks whenever I can and you should see me with the free food comps. Last year at Sam's Town in Las Vegas, I got a $50 food comp that had to be used all at one time. I went in there, ordered a Porterhouse, a chicken quesadilla, a salad, and some apple pie without the a-la-mode to go. The hostess said, "Is all this for you?" "Yup." "Do you a have a refrigerator or microwave in your room?" "Nope." "How are you going to eat all of it?" "Well, this is actually about 3 or 4 meals...I'm putting it all in a cooler and am going to use the hairdryer to heat it all up!"

Thanks again everyone for the info, and it looks like a side-trip to the Atlantis will be in order. It never dawned on me that it was that close.

floridagambler
alison

PostPosted: Nov Tue 14, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the hook up like me, you can get them to hold less. I usually stay for 4 or 5 nights, and they will only hold $100.00 for the whole stay. Smile

I have never head any issues with that. Even at Harrahs, I have never had any issues. We did have an issue at the Eldorado once. We were only staying there for 2 or 3 nights and the held like $600.00. ridiculous.
Mammothgambler

PostPosted: Nov Tue 14, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: awesome Reply with quote

Hey Alison,

That's awesome you have a hookup like that...and that's a shame about that incident at the Eldorado. I usually get hooked up at the Horizon, where they don't charge me anything (although that may have changed recently), and at Sam's Town in LV, they normally charge $100 per day, unless you're a player, so all that gets waived. It blows my mind that to this very minute, all of the Harrah's websites STILL don't talk about any holds. I think I had one person tell me about over the phone when I was checking rates last summer at the Harrahs in Atlantic City. They seem to be the ONLY place that won't disclose that info (until you get burned!)

Anyway sorry to bombard you, but you are the Peppermill expert! This package I got was booked direct thru them (vs. Expedia, or a travel agent, etc.) They told me that I couldn't book through the Passport Club because it was a package, but to be sure to mention that I am a Passport member and show my card when I check in. Let's say I play and play and play and play the whole time I'm there. Can I get them to apply comps to my room stay, even though it's paid in full when I get there and it's more like a "normal" reservation? They always do this at the Horizon, where you pay in full when you get there, and then they give you money back at the end upon check out.

I just don't want to get stuck with/not use a bunch of comps that could make my stay cheaper in the long run.

floridagambler
alison

PostPosted: Nov Tue 14, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you are booking thru the Peppermill, and not some other source such as expedia, i dont see why they would not honor your play towards your room charges. You could always call the Passport club and ask. I am 99.9% sure though that is the case.

Yeah we were pretty irrated about the eldorado situation. I could not beleive they put that much of a hold. It screwed my frioend as she coudl not acess that cash. You know abou that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: