Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

question from someone who has only been to Reno once before.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjewel

PostPosted: Apr Fri 14, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: question from someone who has only been to Reno once before. Reply with quote

What are some eateries you always make a point to stop at each time you visit Reno? What do you order? I am going to Reno for the second time and other than the buffets at the hotel we'll be at, we really don't know where to eat. And maybe just as important, where NOT to eat. Thank you for your advice.
jjewel

PostPosted: Apr Fri 14, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Cal Neva Reply with quote

Sounds like we'll be trying out the Cal Neva for sure!
spdmrcht

PostPosted: Apr Fri 14, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always hit the Brews Bros. at the Eldo. Also have to do the
shrimp cocktail at the sushi bar at the the Silver Legacy. Plus never
miss the Top Deck, for breakfast! If you want a Sunday Brunch
Sterling at Silver Legacy is great. Enjoy.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr Sat 15, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: My personal favorites Reply with quote

Welcome to the board, jjewel.

Some of my favorites are the $19 shrimp basket at Oceano in the Peppermill. Consists of a baker's dozen fried shrimp and a big pile of regular or sweet potato fries.
Next is the $22 Jack Daniel's BBQ ribs at the Purple Parrot in Atlantis. 2 slabs of delicious ribs, mashed potatoes and veggies. You'll probably need a "go box". JD did.
How about breakfast? Peg's Glorified Ham N Eggs has 4 locations in Reno and Sparks. They have a wide variety of goodies. Peg's was awarded “Best Breakfast in America” by Esquire magazine in October, 2007.
Those are my 3 favorites at present.
jjewel

PostPosted: Apr Sat 15, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Peg's is one of the best. We'll have to try that too!
jjewel

PostPosted: Apr Sat 22, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Just got back from Reno. Reply with quote

Wanted to let you know where we ate. First we ate at the Top Deck in Cal Neva. I had the club sandwich with fries. The sandwich was great but the fries were old. I made the mistake of not asking for my fries to be well done. I usually get fresh fries when I do. My boyfriend had the Cordon Bleu sandwich with fries. Same problem with the fries but the sandwich was very good. The service was excellent. They were training a new hostess and she was very friendly and helpful.
Later that night we went to the Pasta and Steak House at Cal Neva. I had the two lobster tails with baked potato and mixed veggies. It came with soup or salad so I got the French onion soup. It also came with fresh bread sticks. The lobster was fantastic but the baked potato was at least a day old and cold. The mixed veggies were very good and the French onion soup was a little salty. It still good. My boyfriend had prime rib, medium rare with a baked potato and salad with blue cheese dressing. He really liked the prime rib and it was done just right. The baked potato was old and cold but everything else was great including the blue cheese dressing. I have to say it was very reasonable and came to just over $30. not including tip. The worst part was the server. I didn't catch his name but whenever we asked for anything he seemed very annoyed. We tried to start with shrimp cocktails but he said he couldn't because the chef told him they were to annoying to keep making so he didn't want to ask him for any more. Crazy! I thought it was a restaurant!? We just smiled and said no problem. It was a very good deal anyway.
The next morning we went to Pegs Glorified Ham and Eggs. I had tacos (I don't like breakfast food.) and it came with beans and some kind of slaw and salsa. My boyfriend had biscuits and gravy. My tacos were good but not what it described it to be. I asked for beef and what I got was a little beef mixed mostly with salsa and sauce. Very little beef. It was not worth ordering. When it comes, it looks like a lot of food, but was mostly slaw and salsa on your plate. It came with two extra empty taco shells so you can double wrap each taco. This was a good idea since because the meat mixture is mostly sauce and salsa, it was very messy. My boyfriend said the biscuits were fantastic but the gravy was aweful. He tried to scrape off as much as he could. It was either rancid or they made it with buttermilk or vinegar because it was sour. We would have sent it back but they were so busy. We probably just ordered the wrong things because they clearly can't be that popular for no reason.
We ended up at Atlantis and went to their Lunch buffet. OMG! That had to be the best buffet I've been to in years. The chilled shrimp alone was worth it! They were so fresh and already peeled. Excellent service! We ended up going again for their breakfast buffet. It was good also but the lunch was awesome.
We also ate at the Sands buffet. We had free tickets so we went. The service was great but the food is not worth going for. Very small buffet and the choices were not fresh. Would not return free or not.
The only other place we ate at was Quizno's in Harrahs for a late night meal. To be fair they were closing in 10 minutes. We got two sandwiches and the guy put so much mustard in they they were almost not edible. I love mustard but not mustard sandwiches. They seemed not to happy to have customers 10 minutes before they closed. Maybe they were trying to leave early.
That's about it. We had some great food and some not so great food. We didn't have any major wins but no major losses either. It was a good trip, can't wait to go again.
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr Mon 24, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Bitter bites Reply with quote

Thanks Jjewel. I've had some of my all time best meals ever in Reno, so it's sad to hear that you had some disappointments at pretty much every restaurant you visited. The Cal Neva is mostly known for it's cheap eats but they are usually pretty good too. Their servers are usually friendly - not like the guy you got stuck with. Glad you enjoyed the Atlantis' buffet. The buffets at the Peppermill, Eldorado and Silver Legacy are great too. I'm not sure how Harrah's is. I haven't eaten there in a long time and there's been quite a number of reports on this board talking about a general decline in the overall Harrah's experience. You might want to try an Awful Awful burger at the little Nugget across the street from Harrah's. There's a tiny greasy spoon diner at the back and their Awful Awful (awfully big, awfully good) burger can quite easily feed two. It's the stuff of Reno legends. I think you'll find the coffee shops at the big hotels have good fare as well. I've never been to Peg's, but I'm a bit surprised to hear of your poor quality meals - They've received pretty good marks on this board in the past.

Thanks a lot for sharing your dining experiences with us.
spdmrcht

PostPosted: Apr Tue 25, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restraints are like a box of chocolates, ya never know what
your going to get, Great today, not so great tomorrow!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> The Best of Reno All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: