Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pyramid Lake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marian

PostPosted: Jun Thu 15, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Pyramid Lake Reply with quote

I'm looking for a diversion from gambling as we'll be in Reno a full week. Is Pyramid Lake a good drive? I see it from the air but have never driven to it? We'll do the Lake Tahoe thing also. Any ideas anyone?

Marian
JD

PostPosted: Jun Thu 15, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Pyramid Lake Reply with quote

Well, it kinda depends what floats your boat. East 30 miles or so on 80, then at Wadsworth North 15 miles or so to Nixon. I'm told there is excellent fishing but I've never been much of a fisherman.

There's some interesting history between Wadsworth and the Lake. In 1861, the local Pah Utes (water Utes) took offense at the kidnapping of a couple of young girls and burned the offending settlement to the ground (after relieving the kidnappers of their hair). Well, Major Ormsby of Virginia City (namesake of Ormsby house in CC) took his militia out to teach the natives a lesson. It didn't quite work out as Ormsby planned and Ormsby's funeral was lightly attended since 2/3 of his militia were routed by the Paiutes.

A short time later, Captain Edmund Storey (Storey County) attempted the same lesson...with similar results...at least for him. Cpt. Storey's funeral was much better attended.

If you're a history and military history buff, interesting to put a location to Storey's story.

A more scenic day trip is South past Carson to Genoa. As the oldest settlement in Nevada, it skirts at the base of the mountains near Kingsburry Grade holding Lake Tahoe in place.

Somewhere in these archives is my Genoa story.
spinner

PostPosted: Jun Thu 15, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD

That was a really good response with the history. Makes me want to drive out there and just see the area. Actually I like the drive to Pyramid Lake because it is so close to Reno, yet feels like another world.

Fishing is supposed to be great, and there is legend of some "Lake Monster" that lives there from pre-historic times. By looking around, you could imagine something there, it certainly would have been undesturbed for quite some time. Seems like the locals should play that up to get some of the Area 51 people down there to watch for it also.

I have also heard that the lake can be very dangerous, calm one minute and then very churned up the next. I guess it contributes to fishermen in small boats drowning occassionally.
Marian

PostPosted: Jun Thu 15, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info... I'll be sure to see Genoa also.
remano

PostPosted: Jun Fri 16, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Pyramid Lake Reply with quote

Marian wrote:
I'm looking for a diversion from gambling as we'll be in Reno a full week. Is Pyramid Lake a good drive? * * *
Marian

You can also take Pyramid Way from Sparks and just keep on going. There isn't much to see along the way - mostly a lot of high desert scrub. You pass a wild horse rescue ranch along the way but I don't know if they offer tours. Here's another one in the area that does appear to let you visit http://www.wildhorsespirit.org/about_wild_horse_spirit_ltd.htm#VISIT

The lake itself has it's own beauty that I would describe as stark emptiness. Most of the activities are strictly do it yourself. There is a small marina with a beach and a nearby restaurant/bar and fishing charters at Sutcliffe, there are several other beaches without services around the lake and a small tribal museum at Nixon that has never been open when I've been there. The lake has a reputation for unpredictable currents and sudden dropoffs but is OK for swimming as long as you use common sense. You need a permit from the tribe to use the lake.

You will find much more information if you google Pyramid Lake Nevada.
JD

PostPosted: Jun Fri 16, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Pyramid Lake Reply with quote

Most of my interest in Nevada history centers around the 1800's. But if you have an interest in WAY BACK WHEN...

Pyramid Lake is actually the larest of the remnants of Ancient Lake Lahotan. You see, about 13,000 years ago, Nevada had a vast connected lake that covered maybe 1/4 of the state. Today, there are merely small remnants remaining.

Here's a couple of links that show what it looked like then, and now.

http://www.rangerovers.net/expeditions/lakelahontan/index.html

http://www.clan.lib.nv.us/content.asp?id=10

Now as to Genoa....here is a partial post that I found in the " Bucket of Blood Thread"

There's a quaint museum (and the required gift shop) in the old court house run by elderly locals that are thrilled if you ask any questions (buy a book here) of the history of the town. Be sure to cross the street to the park/stockade as well. THEN you can go to the Old Genoa Bar. If Miss Riskey is tending bar, tell her the $ 2 bill guy (Ernest's pal) will be visiting the 4th of July. Don't expect some fancy imported beer and don't complain about the pool table or the restrooms. The building is over 150 years old, been ridin hard and put away wet.

http://www.genoanevada.org/page3.html

My favorite story (from DeQuille's book) is of Henry Van Sickle. Van Sickle Station (Pony Express stop) is just outside of town. But his story is most famous because this blacksmith (later large landowner, rancher, timber baron, builder of Kingbury Grade to Tahoe and a model for Ben Cartwright) was nearly killed by Sam Brown, a real Old West bad man and cold blooded killer of dozens.

http://www.xphomestation.com/nvsta-vansickles.html

Henry jumped on his mule with his double barreled shotgun and chased down the fleeing coward and ended Sam Brown's murderous ways for good.

Google search: Sam Brown, Henry Van Sickle, Mormon Station, Genoa Nevada, Dan DeQuille

http://visitreno.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=280
NandJfrmNJ

PostPosted: Jun Tue 20, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Pyramid Lake Reply with quote

If you're animal lovers like we are, The Animal Arc is a great place to visit I can't remember the exact directions but it's about an hour (?) drive from Reno off Rt 80W. If you go, go early since the animals are usually taking a siesta in the afternoon. If you really want to take a LONG drive (maybe stay overnight somewhere) go up to Lassen NP. The park is spectacular with lots of volcanic features like mudpots, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: