Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LIVE trip report - May 9 to May 12
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjames1229

PostPosted: May Sat 10, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: LIVE trip report - May 9 to May 12 Reply with quote

I'm getting killed out here. Send money.
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: May Sat 10, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: OK Reply with quote

Sounds like a good investment. Where do I send my check? Having fun anyway? How goes the bowling?
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: May Sun 11, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: No problem Reply with quote

Call me on my cell and I'll bring you some money. You too, Dave.
JD

PostPosted: May Sun 11, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a $ 12.50 payout ticket from Silver Legacy in my luggage.

Would would that help? It expires the end of June.
mjames1229

PostPosted: May Sun 11, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the bleeding slowed a bit. Lost half my bankroll on Friday, and nothing I touched paid off.

Yesterday wasn't as bad.

The weather is a pisser, though. Weather.com said 70s and sunny for the weekend, but instead it was about 50° and raining sideways yesterday. I didn't bring a jacket or sweatshirt, so I missed Friday's Aces game and didn't take part in the Reno 150th birthday festivities on Virginia St. Likely no Aces game today, either, but I have an hour to decide.

The bowling is not quite what I had hoped for, but that was more Operator Error. Two more tournaments today, so more opportunity for success.

Had an Awful Awful as soon add I got here Friday, and a pizza from Noble Pie that evening for dinner. Yesterday ate at Harrahs buffet for brunch and Men Wielding Fire for dinner. All good stuff so far. Skipped breakfast today in favor of sleeping in, but getting hungry now. Going to see if Michael's Deli is open on Sunday's, and if so (and if the temperature is ok) might go for a walk.
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: May Sun 11, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Any more progress? Reply with quote

Sorry about the weather, but glad your luck is changing.

Anything notable happening at the former Fitz?
mjames1229

PostPosted: May Sun 11, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see any activity at Whitney Peak. The building is painted white and the name is onthe side, but the climbing wall is still untouched.

And please don't confuse "better luck" with "less disastrous". The machines all seem to be tighter than a virgin on prom night.

Speaking of prom night, Harrahs held a prom last night. Sure was enjoyable to sit and play Pai Gow Poker near the west elevators around midnight!

And I promise I didn't touch (but I did have to change my shirt that was soaked with drool..)
mjames1229

PostPosted: May Tue 13, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update... home now.

I will post a full trip report, but overall I had a good time, had some good food (I posted on my Facebook account, but the Jalapeno Popper Bacon Grilled Cheese sandwich at the Top Deck inside Cal Neva for $4.99 is worth making a trip cross country for).

My bowling lesson was phenomenal... the guy put into data a lot of cause and effect; for example, because my third step is too short, my swing timing is off, causing me to pull my arm through the release, which rotates the elbow prematurely, which reduces the overall rotation on the ball, which causes early hook and poor pin carry. All that because of a short third step.

The tournament bowling was average... as in my lifetime (20 years) is 188, and this year I averaged 196. Certainly won't cash for a lot of money, though my doubles partner had a good series so we might get a couple hundred bucks for that one.

Instead of taking more photos of the same ol' things (how many arch photos do I need?) I've taken on a new pursuit; photos of the fleabag motels with the gorgeous old signs. Took a few this weekend but we had no car, so I didn't get around to too many. Look for those on my trip report.

Oh, and I did come back with some money, but that was due to a quick stop off in Vegas and a flight delay at McCarren.
stan_allen

PostPosted: May Tue 13, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Frequently-fleeced flier Reply with quote

You're lucky to come out from McCarran with your shirt on!

Looking forward to the full trip report...
mjames1229

PostPosted: May Sun 18, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: No longer LIVE Reply with quote

I have completed 5000 words of Reno goodness.

Enjoy!

And as a reminder, Dave... please don't open all the links at once. I didn't bowl (or gamble) well enough to buy you a new computer.

Last edited by mjames1229 on Jan Sat 16, 2021 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
stan_allen

PostPosted: May Mon 19, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Across the Reno Grande... Reply with quote

I have to congratulate for that trip report name, even without having read it yet - brilliant!
remano

PostPosted: May Mon 19, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjames,

Thanks for a very thorough and entertaining TR. I'm not a bowler but I found even the bowling sections to be interesting.

I agree with you that Men Wielding Fire is a worthy destination for anyone with an appetite for BBQ. They just announced that they are leaving their downtown location and moving this summer to the ever more popular midtown area. I'm not sure of the exact location but I think it is in the strip mall at the southwest corner of the South Virginia and Mt. Rose Street intersection. Good for them because it doubles or triples the size of their operation, but not so good for visitors who don't care to leave downtown or don't have the transportation. Their catering division services many special events, however, so you still might find their booth at one of those, like Blues Fest, HAN, Street Vibes etc.

I also agree that Siri's is a lot better than an empty boarded up store front, but at its heart is still just another slot parlor. Could as well be another Dotty's, if you're familiar with those locations. But I'll give them time and hope for the best. Go, Siri's, Go!!!

Anyway, thanks again. Good luck for your next visit in 6 months.

Last edited by remano on May Mon 19, 2014 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
mjames1229

PostPosted: May Mon 19, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Across the Reno Grande... Reply with quote

stan_allen wrote:
I have to congratulate for that trip report name, even without having read it yet - brilliant!

Thanks.

I was captivated by the Sands, but not necessarily in a good way... but I can't get the place off my mind.

Other than the buffet being less-than-stellar, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the place... and except for the Kings Inn being in the way, it is an easy, pleasant walk from Harrahs. But it seemed, so, so, so... I don't know.

I love their neon, I like the overall color scheme, I've been to and have enjoyed Mel's Diner, and they have good table games. But there is just something about that place that just seems off.

Here's what did it to me; I was standing at the slot club/cashier, and there were some TVs playing an endless loop of commercials, and it seemed that every-other-commercial was for the buffet. Due to video trickery, there was only one actor, but about a dozen versions of him, each carrying a different plate of food towards the camera (as in a single-file line... first it was him in a black shirt carrying one dish and turning left, then in a red shirt carrying a different dish turning right, black shirt left, and so on). But in each version of him, he was making a face. I think it was supposed to be "Hey, look at this good plate of food" but instead it looked like (sorry in advance) a stereotypical special needs person that could possibly be drooling in the plates. It was like a car wreck that I couldn't turn away from.

And the more I looked throughout the property, the more ads I saw with that same guy! Its like their advertising budget was about $174 (including production costs). So now we have a reasonably nice property with a lot going for it, and its quarter-assed promotional budget can't get anyone to think anything other than the Sands being a scummy dive a few blocks away from the action.

So when brainstorming for a title, I kept going back to using Sands and it just kinda fell into place.

And maybe I'm in love with that actor, as I spent about an hour looking for that commercial clip on-line and I wasn't able to. I'm suddenly obsessed with the Sands.
remano

PostPosted: May Mon 19, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"And the more I looked throughout the property, the more ads I saw with that same guy!"

mjames -

I don't go to the Sands much but I see some of their ads. If this is the guy I'm thinking of, he's not an actor. He's Ferenc Szony the CEO of the operation. He's had a long history with the Sands, I'm not sure of the details but in the last decade or so they've been independent, owned by Terribles, sold to Affinity Gaming, then some other operator and so on. As things have changed he's been out, then in, then back out, etc. He's currently back in. Don't know why but he seems to have a thing for appearing in the commercials himself, as a waiter, dancer, musician, his own mother, whatever. Maybe he thinks it adds a personal touch. Regardless, the commercials are pretty hokey but you come to expect them from the Sands.
mjames1229

PostPosted: May Mon 19, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remano wrote:
If this is the guy I'm thinking of, he's not an actor. He's Ferenc Szony the CEO of the operation.

That's Him! That's Him!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: