Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here's a start.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar Tue 11, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Here's a start. Reply with quote

Every time I get back from Reno I feel tired for days. But I promised a report so here's a start.

We stayed at Circus Circus as I wanted to be in good old downtown Reno again. Janice and I are very fond of those Tuscany suites at the Peppermill, but since it was my birthday, she humored me. Here's part of the view from our room on arrival day, March 5th.

Everybody who has been around this message board for a while knows I'm a big fan of the old classic Reno. Well, I went back in time (sorta) and got out to Harold's Club! OK, it's just the old sign, but it's well preserved out at the Reno Livestock Events Center. That's me - gives you an idea of the scale of the sign.

Another Reno icon is "Topsy" (Janice just calls him "Clowny") outside Circus Circus. Janice is standing by his pedestal.

Another icon - though less well known is Shooter's. We didn't go in this time.

Even less well known - but gaining in world wide popularity, Charlie and Higgins!!!

Still lots more to come! BC Dave
CaSwede

PostPosted: Mar Wed 12, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the shooters sign. It sounds great until you see the false advertising portion. I look forward to more.
john
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar Thu 13, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Darn birds Reply with quote

Dave, it seems those birds love Janice more than they love me. Look for a package marked "Live Animals" soon.

It was awesome seeing you two again, and thanks for the VC/Carson run.
stan_allen

PostPosted: Mar Thu 13, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: So where's "Turvy"? Reply with quote

Snow on the roofs, yet bright blue skies - lovely conditions, it looks like - but so much of the fun indeed takes place indoors.

For all the time I've spent in Reno, I've never even seen that sign at the Livestock events center - and "Topsy?" Good trivia; I certainly didn't know that!

And the Shooters marquee - it may not be the best place to spend one's precious Reno time, but they certainly have the right attitude!

Great job, as always; we await more...

Last edited by stan_allen on Mar Thu 13, 2014 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shooty

PostPosted: Mar Thu 13, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, looking forward to more, thank you.
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar Thu 13, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Links to the Harold's Sign Reply with quote

Until now, I had only heard about the preservation of the sign. This time I thought it would be cool to actually go see it and take a few pictures. So before leaving on the trip I printed out a couple of Google maps and put it down as a must see on our itinerary.

As it happened there was an event going on at the Livestock Center that day and to drive in was going to cost $8.00. But there was a friendly cowboy-looking fellow at the entrance who was kind enough to wave us in once he knew we just wanted a couple of pictures of the sign.

The sign is visible in the center of the south side of the large building. It's a Reno Shrine ... If I were more sentimental, I would break down and ... excuse me, Waaahhh!

http://goo.gl/maps/VnwQE

The sign hasn't been on Virginia Street since 1999. I sure wish Harrah's, having purchased them, would have kept the Nevada Club and Harold's open under the pseudonym "Harold's Club and Nevada Club at Harrah's" or something like that. What good is that dumb plaza most of the year anyway?
spdmrcht

PostPosted: Mar Thu 13, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least one Mountain Lion likes the Plaza? Some body please post
a picture of it.
BC Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar Thu 13, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Forgot about that. Reply with quote

I forgot about the mountain lion. I think Mammoth was nearby at the time. Pictures? Hmm-mm. Time for an intense Google image search.

OK, I did a Google image search for "Downtown Reno Mountain Lion" and got lots of hits. Most, unfortunately, don't have much to do with the incident in question. I don't know if anybody got a picture of the mountain lion before it was sedated - that would have been the most interesting. The incident occurred around 5 am in Aug 2012. So there weren't too many people out and about - probably a good thing.
Mammothgambler

PostPosted: Mar Sun 16, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, great seeing you all!

Awesome pre-trip report and pictures BC Dave - jeez, I miss it there...big time...oh man! There's Yummies! And Shooters! And the Jashan Market! You really captured it all.

Anyhow, not to butt in to the thread, but yes, Tessa and I actually missed the mountain lion that morning by literally minutes - that was only our sixth day or so after moving to town. I remember taking her outside, as the little pet area at Harrah's is just outside that revolving door. I was kinda ticked off at the time because there was a lady that wouldn't get off my Blazing Sevens machine for two days, the one closest to that revolving door. I remember getting back up to the room just as the news flash was coming on stating something on the order of "A mountain lion was just spotted outside Harrah's Reno plaza..." and something else on the order of "It was the size of a German Shepherd and a half." Fortunately, Tessa didn't wind up IN HALF! No pics of the actual mountain lion itself but here's a few shots of the TV footage and what was going on outside right after I raced back downstairs as they were trying to coax him out from under the stage. Note all the water puddles, which came from the fire engine hoses which probably just ticked him off even harder! I think they brought him in for doctor exams and he was released back in the wild a few days later. The people in the plaza corridor are the news crew and police.

Can't wait for the rest of the report!

Mammothgambler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: