Visitreno Forum Index Visitreno
Visitreno.com's message board
There's a lot of information on the
MAIN SITE

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Standby...good idea or horrible plan?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrincessaMyron

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Standby...good idea or horrible plan? Reply with quote

Greetings..

Hubby and I have the ability to fly non-revenue/space available/standby due to the extreme generosity of a good friend who is an AA employee. We are contemplating DFW to RNO on 12/17 and return on 12/24. Any other folks out there who have done this and if so, what are the odds of actually making it there...and more importantly back in time for work on Christmas night?

Thanks in advance...Lauren in tx
Zydeco

PostPosted: Sep Mon 16, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep for a number of other flights (not to RNO).

In my experience, the the flight out was the worst and I was bumped more than once. Never seem to have any issue returning.

Re: holiday times. I did non-rev on Thanksgiving one year and was able to board a flight, but did it on Xmas day and was bumped.

It's a gamble....but heck, are you not going to Nevada?

Good luck.
Mammothgambler

PostPosted: Sep Mon 16, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've done many standbys over the years and have never had any problems...however, I'd really think hard about the Christmas time flight...it might not be a bad idea to maybe return a day early, just to be on the safe side as far as your job goes. The airlines seem to have so many problems with bookings as it is these days, it just seems kinda risky.

But, like Zydeco said, you're coming to Nevada. GAMBLE!

Mammothgambler
PrincessaMyron

PostPosted: Sep Tue 17, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: You both are right! Reply with quote

It's a gamble....guess we will wait and see how risky we are!

Thanks...lauren
stan_allen

PostPosted: Sep Tue 17, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: I keep my friends close, and my enemies closer... Reply with quote

Yep, we'll see just how "extreme" your friend's generosity turns out to be!

I know you're not supposed to look a gift horse in the mouth, but if one winds up spending a night or two in an airport terminal, the perceived value of this gift could change shape dramatically - but hey, give it a shot, unless you absolutely have to be somewhere on the 25th!
PrincessaMyron

PostPosted: Sep Tue 17, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: True that! Reply with quote

Funny, the only place we have been insanely stuck was two days in JAX, trying to fly to DFW.

Ended up buying a OW revenue ticket on DL for like $125 each and had a great flight home!

We shall see.

lauren
CaSwede

PostPosted: Sep Tue 17, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: good luck on SB Reply with quote

Way back-- when I was in the army I used to fly standby. I was flying home one time and was ready to get bumped, but they had one seat left for me.......first class! Score. I had a filet mignon dinner with wine while the peons had a peanut and jelly sandwich with a bag of potato chips.
PrincessaMyron

PostPosted: Sep Tue 17, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: That is a score! Reply with quote

Love that story!

Hubby and I were flying standby from LGA to DFW and we were 61 and 62 on the standby list. They called everyone before u who was listed for first class, then called us....we got on instead of higher boarding priority people because they were not dressed for first!

Score!

Lauren
spdmrcht

PostPosted: Sep Tue 17, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: There ya go! Reply with quote

Your one up on them! Go for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Visitreno Forum Index -> Reno Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: